New in Septembeer

Know of any new beer releases to the area? Share some info here.
JSchock7

Re: New in Septembeer

Post by JSchock7 » September 19th, 2017, 4:30 pm

KCcyclone01 wrote:Saw Oude Quetsche Tilquin dropped on MO side anyone know if it dropped on the KS side?
Haven't heard or seen of it for about a year from the distributor on the KS side. Unless Lawrence area got some.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP

mkerr6969

Post by mkerr6969 » September 19th, 2017, 5:00 pm

JSchock7 wrote:
KCcyclone01 wrote:Saw Oude Quetsche Tilquin dropped on MO side anyone know if it dropped on the KS side?
Haven't heard or seen of it for about a year from the distributor on the KS side. Unless Lawrence area got some.
12 Percent Imports is no longer distributed in KS as far as I know.

ReedM

Post by ReedM » September 28th, 2017, 6:40 am

Serious question.

What do you think the best way to sell ~30 bottles of lambic? Randomly put out in small portions, behind the counter at 1pp, putting everything out on the shelf instantly, do a waiting list, hold a raffle, require a secret handshake?

I keep telling people on the phone that I will release this week, but there really isn't a good way to do it :?
Beer Curator @ Royal Liquors
1301 W 103rd Street

ElurJ

Post by ElurJ » September 28th, 2017, 7:26 am

Another thought would be to require a dollar amount of other beer to purchase limited items. Helps push some of your other product out the door..

tylerajen

Post by tylerajen » September 28th, 2017, 8:08 am

ReedM wrote:Serious question.

What do you think the best way to sell ~30 bottles of lambic? Randomly put out in small portions, behind the counter at 1pp, putting everything out on the shelf instantly, do a waiting list, hold a raffle, require a secret handshake?

I keep telling people on the phone that I will release this week, but there really isn't a good way to do it :?
Sell it to me. :)

dzump11

Post by dzump11 » September 28th, 2017, 9:02 am

The best way from a business stand point is require them to come in and buy a something else which entitles them to purchase a rare beer. That typically rewards your repeat customers who buy shelf beers normally from you anyway and forces the whale hunters who come in to patronize you for more than just whalez.

zmitts

Post by zmitts » September 28th, 2017, 9:36 am

dzump11 wrote:

The best way from a business stand point is require them to come in and buy a something else which entitles them to purchase a rare beer. That typically rewards your repeat customers who buy shelf beers normally from you anyway and forces the whale hunters who come in to patronize you for more than just whalez.
I understand this concept, but I have to completely disagree with this philosophy from a business perspective. If I'm a non-regular, bringing me into your store (even if it's just to buy a rare item) is the best advertising you could possibly ask for. I get a beer I must really want (if I went out of my way to go to a store I do not normally visit) and should in theory be happy about the experience, and that store gets my money - win/win! If you attach strings to it like having to buy additional beer at the time of purchase, that's likely going to discourage me from returning again (whether that is for another rare beer or just an everyday purchase). This is only amplified if you are hiding it behind the counter and/or tell me that I'm not on the dignified list of lucky recipients (in this case you are literally turning away business... never understood that). On the other hand, if I'm a regular at the store I would be annoyed if I was asked to make an extra purchase in order to get that rare beer - it seems obvious that displeasing a regular customer would be bad for both the business and the customer.

I have worked in liquor stores before but I have never owned one, so I can only imagine how difficult it is. However, I think any liquor store that is trying to boost their revenue by adding rules like this to certain products comes off as desperate. I also think "rare" beers are becoming more common every day, and eventually the market is going to be saturated, but that's probably another conversation altogether. Either way, from a business standpoint I think it is vital to remember that customers value consistency. If you are going to release beers a certain way, you should release them that way every time. The more often you change the rules, the more likely you are to lose customers (and potential new customers as well). In my opinion, put the beers out, sell them (limit 1pp or whatever depending on the demand), and then continue on with business as usual.

ReedM

Post by ReedM » September 28th, 2017, 10:48 am

ElurJ wrote:Another thought would be to require a dollar amount of other beer to purchase limited items. Helps push some of your other product out the door..
I have tried that in the past, and it really frustrates people.

I try to take care of my regulars as much as possible, but I am about the only beer nerd that works here. To most everyone else here its their 2nd job and they are just cashiers. It is hard for me to leave this stuff for my night crew, as they rarely enforce sales policy regarding either additional purchases or limits which sucks. I have seen it happen time and time again, where they will say something like "we are only supposed to sell them 1pp, but i don't really care" and I come in the next day to be completely sold out of a beer that should have lasted a few days. We only pay ~$8/hr, so I can't really ask too much of my help (well I can, but they dont care. You pay with peanuts and you get monkeys is what we say around here).

I ride the fence on the morality of requiring addtional sales. On one hand, I don't think it is fair for Bob to come in my store weekly and buy his Founders Porter, only to get denied on KBS because we sold out earlier in the week. And I am not keen on selling KBS to George, who don't shop my store at all, but made it there on the day of the release chasing trucks. George is usually the type of person that would complain about requiring an additional purchase while letting me know the store down the street sold him 2 whole 4pks, and its BS I have a 2 bottle limit. Sure, I always try to save some KBS for the Bob's, but it doesn't always work that way. Especially when there are more Georges than Bobs (sorry if I used your name in this example, it was strictly a fictional narritive).

I have done drawings in the past for Abraxas and Bourbon County, and those were always a lot of fun. My boss doesn't like those however, because the people are coming in to get bottles, but end up with a ticket and might not be able to make it back for the drawing and we missed a sale. I take the side of "well, we only have 24 bottles, I have handed out 100 tickets, this is the fairest way I can come up with."

At this point I am confident in saying I have taken care of a majority of my regulars, and still have plenty left over for the public. The problem is I work a day shift, and so do most other people. I realize it is near impossible for most people to leave work at 1pm when I have made facebook posts in the past. And we usually sell out in about 45 minutes when that is the case, most people having never been in my store before. I don't think it is fair to the world of employed people to do a mid-week afternoon release.

I have tried putting out a few bottles at a time in the past, and that seems to work decently. I always worry about the limits being respected when I am not here, which is why I prefer to hand-sell the bottles. I also find it hard to maintain a consistant method for releasing "rare" beers when each beer comes with a different allocation. I can't handle 6 bottles of Parabola in the same way I handle 2 cases of Pirate Bomb or 10 cases of KBS. Some of the beers you can set limits and they will last a couple days, where as others there simply isn't enough to even cover my regulars.

For about the past year or two, I have just held everything in back and waited for people to come ask for it. This does not include the people that walk in and ask "Do you have anything good that came in? You know, the rare stuff" or "Anything good behind the counter?" Those are usually people who do not regularly shop here. I tell them there is over $200k worth of beer on the floor right now, there is plenty of good stuff everywhere. I should just put stuff that isnt selling well behind the counter and watch people go nuts over it :lol:

I like when people can walk into a store, find the beer guy, and he can find them the specific bottle they are looking for. In regards to consistancy, that is the best way for me to keep it consistant. So chances are, if you can catch me at work, you will probably end up with something fun. I work Sunday from 9a-4p for those of you that can't make it in on weekdays, and *should* have some stuff left if anyone wants to come say hi.

I like this forum because it is smaller than most other resources for KC Craft beer. So I generally make posts on here before going to FB or beyond. As long as we can keep it low key, I will continue to do so.
1301 W 103rd Street

whiskeydeez

Post by whiskeydeez » September 28th, 2017, 11:50 am

ReedM wrote:
I like when people can walk into a store, find the beer guy, and he can find them the specific bottle they are looking for. In regards to consistancy, that is the best way for me to keep it consistant. So chances are, if you can catch me at work, you will probably end up with something fun. I work Sunday from 9a-4p for those of you that can't make it in on weekdays, and *should* have some stuff left if anyone wants to come say hi.

I like this forum because it is smaller than most other resources for KC Craft beer. So I generally make posts on here before going to FB or beyond. As long as we can keep it low key, I will continue to do so.
Yeah, I'm one of the working Joes that can't make it in during the day. It's usually the older lady upfront, I usually stop in once or twice a week on my way home. I like that you have tried putting some "fun" bottles in the singles fridge.

ReedM

Post by ReedM » September 28th, 2017, 12:14 pm

whiskeydeez wrote:
Yeah, I'm one of the working Joes that can't make it in during the day. It's usually the older lady upfront, I usually stop in once or twice a week on my way home. I like that you have tried putting some "fun" bottles in the singles fridge.
I love that door, its my baby! I wish I could give it more attention recently, but there also hasn't been much "fun" small stuff lately. I added the 750ml shelf, but those don't do as well for some reason (probably because every beer I put in there is over $20 :lol: )
1301 W 103rd Street