New Kansas City Area Brewery / Brewpubs

Know of any new beer releases to the area? Share some info here.
SteveJ

Re: New Kansas City Area Brewery / Brewpubs

Post by SteveJ » October 25th, 2012, 2:23 pm

bythepint wrote:Posted on KC Rag:
http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18547

Unconfirmed but it sounds like this person is referring to Cinder Block. December seems really ambitious if they are just now ordering equipment, then again this person doesn't know the name of the brewery so who knows how accurate the details are.
My understanding is that this is The Big Rip.

johnf

Post by johnf » October 25th, 2012, 2:39 pm

If it were in KC I would say it is almost impossible to navigate local health authorities that fast (ignoring licensing and other issues directly related to brewing and not the taproom per se). NKC may be laid back though.

A guy on the AHA forum a while back was posting about the brewery he opened with a tasting room a few years ago. It took him $60,000 to comply with local health codes. This had nothing to do with the brewery. He needed 7 sinks in a nanobrewery + tasting room (bar, male restroom, female restroom, floor sink, eye wash station, can't remember what the other two were) and they weren't happy with how well the floor graded to the floor drain so he had to repour that.

So basically you have a building, you have a licensed brewery, and you still have that crap to deal with.

If they do open in 2 months though, that's pretty awesome given that most people only get a facebook page up in the first couple of years (I kid, mostly).

rendar

Post by rendar » October 25th, 2012, 3:58 pm

I'm guessing Steve is correct on it being Big Rip. These are posts on their website from the last couple weeks:

http://bigripbrewing.com/2012/10/ttb-li ... rew-check/
http://bigripbrewing.com/news-and-events/

You've got to figure if a couple of these guys can get off the ground and are making quality beer in a good location they could make a killing here. I know it's been stated over and over, but just look at St. Louis the past few years. I moved back from St. Louis right before they started popping up there, and it is the ONLY thing that I miss about living there.

johnf

Post by johnf » October 25th, 2012, 5:22 pm

NKC tasting room, BYOF...

Smoking Guns and beer, all day ever day. Who wants to be the DD?

rendar

Post by rendar » October 25th, 2012, 8:27 pm

And according to their website there is another BBQ joint connected to them....but it will be hard to beat Smokin Guns.

johnf

Post by johnf » November 28th, 2012, 5:17 pm

It appears as though Micah is leaving 75th St. to open http://mankindbrewing.com/

In related news, 75th St. is looking for a new brewer.

theisti

Post by theisti » November 28th, 2012, 7:55 pm

johnf wrote:It appears as though Micah is leaving 75th St. to open http://mankindbrewing.com/

From the site:

"ManKind Brewing Company is a “green”, progressive and community oriented brewpub concept to be opened in the spring of 2013 in the Kansas City Metro area, designed to celebrate mankind’s many diverse cultures and achievements, thru a variety of beer styles and cuisines.

As a brewery and restaurant, MKB will produce eco-minded beer and food products with local, regional, organic, fair trade and progressively farmed and produced ingredients. Our involvement within the community along with our progressive and “green” business nature will provide us with exposure to a variety of demographics that find our craft appealing."

Based on the map from Facebook, looks like 20th / Broadway is the location?

Best of luck!
Last edited by theisti on November 28th, 2012, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theisti

Post by theisti » November 28th, 2012, 7:57 pm

johnf wrote:It appears as though Micah is leaving 75th St. to open http://mankindbrewing.com/

And from the Facebook:

"Kickstarter Update: Our Kickstarter campaign is finished and ready to launch, We are currently waiting on verification and approval from Amazon payments and Kickstarter. This may take up to 8 days! If you are not familiar with kickstarter.com, check it out before we launch. We will keep you posted on a launch date.
Cheers. -MKB"

I have a real nervousness to the whole Kickstarter concept for breweries.

johnf

Post by johnf » November 28th, 2012, 9:08 pm

theisti wrote:

Me too. On the other hand, most of the best beers I've had at 75th St. have been under Micah's tenure and I always got the impression that the deck was a little stacked against the brewer there (for example, compare the beer at 75th when Bucky was there to the beer at 23rd now) so I am excited to see what he can do with more freedom.

I'll make a donation even though I question the funding model (I did the same for Wilderness).

I think csbosox should take the 75th St job. He has a beard and everything.

theisti

Post by theisti » November 29th, 2012, 9:31 am

johnf wrote:
theisti wrote:

Me too. On the other hand, most of the best beers I've had at 75th St. have been under Micah's tenure and I always got the impression that the deck was a little stacked against the brewer there (for example, compare the beer at 75th when Bucky was there to the beer at 23rd now) so I am excited to see what he can do with more freedom.

I'll make a donation even though I question the funding model (I did the same for Wilderness).

I think csbosox should take the 75th St job. He has a beard and everything.
Agreed on all points, I too will donate, why not?

As for Chris taking the job, sounds perfect - he has a certain tolerance for filth that would help him succeed in that brewery.