KC beer trading facebook

Have something you want to trade?
Forum rules
This is a local KC-area forum that is centered around in-person trades.

1. Trades or giveaways only, no sales of alcohol allowed. Any posts related to selling alcohol will be deleted and the seller's account will be nuked permanently. This includes posting links to auctions elsewhere.
2. Please only add substantive and/or positive replies.
3. In order to limit confusion and promote trading, please spell out the beer(s) you are trading in the first post or your thread title, rather than relying solely on abbreviations or acronyms. When in doubt, spell it out.
4. Don't be a dick.

KC beer trading facebook

Postby localbrewer » May 16th, 2017, 3:28 pm

I joined this group as another way to trade beer but lately it feels like people are selling beer for profit which I am strongly against. I know some breweries will watch these and not sell to these people any more, not sure which brewery I read this about though. Does anyone else agree that people overpricing beers on the black market should not be encouraged?
localbrewer

Re: KC beer trading facebook

Postby phisherman_77 » May 16th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Supply and demand, bruh.

Value as a concept is quite subjective. Though you may not think that a particular beer is worth an inflated secondary price, it may be worth it to someone that doesn't have the time or resources at any particular time to travel to get it.

Take barrel aged Abraxas for example. Roughly $30-35 bottle retail. If you wanted one, would you seriously only offer $30-35 retail worth of beer for it? If your answer is no (which it would be, for most people), then is that truly any different to pay above retail in cash?

The value of any given good is determined by what someone will pay for it. If it's $350 retail worth of fancy beers or $350 in cash, what's the big difference? I think about this all the time from an economic perspective and if you've ever valued any beer you're trading more than what you paid for it retail, you're really in the same philosophical area.
phisherman_77

Postby localbrewer » May 16th, 2017, 5:04 pm

In my mind the money should go to the brewery not Joe who is selling it 2nd hand. If the beer is really worth that and people are paying that much the brewery should be selling it for that and making the money. The brewery is making the beer and should be getting most of the profit so that they can keep making good beer.
localbrewer

Postby Jake1605 » May 16th, 2017, 5:34 pm

It's amazing the irony of how some of the people with this stance on the secondary market make their money at their jobs.
Jake1605

Postby tiHawkeye » May 16th, 2017, 5:41 pm

That's it. Pursuing my dream and going to open up PVB (Percieved Value Brewing). Just need a bunch of investors. My plan is to try to sell my beer at what I think the market would ultimately pay for in secondary pricing markets. Wish me luck.....

For real tho, other than raising brewery pricing until people stop buying their beer and finding the sweet spot to maximize profits, there is nothing a company can do about secondary pricing. And doing that would likely be a business killer anyway with backlash.

I don't buy beers on the secondary market and I don't worry about people who do it.
tiHawkeye

Postby EricH » May 16th, 2017, 6:06 pm

I honestly don't care because there is no secondary market in my world. That entire scene might as well not even exist as far as I'm concerned. You will never find me standing in line for some beer release, ever. I don't care what it is, it's not worth it (to me).

The rules about not selling beer here on the site only exist for liability reasons.
Palaces, barricades, threats, meet promises
EricH

Postby ReedM » May 17th, 2017, 7:54 am

phisherman_77 wrote: I think about this all the time from an economic perspective and if you've ever valued any beer you're trading more than what you paid for it retail, you're really in the same philosophical area.

The only difference being one increases Beer Karma, whereas the other increases your bank account.

I think the secondary market is cool, but I have no respect for those who abuse it. If you are in a pinch and sell off a bottle or two, I find that acceptable. If you get a few guys together to pool some cash and buy some fancy bottle for a share, then that is cool as well. If you regularly wait in line at releases for beer that you flip on the internet with the intentions of MAX PROFITZ, then you suck, and are what is wrong with the beer scene.

That being said, it seems like the new fad is to assign a dollar amount to every bottle, which IMO is causing beer trading to become less popular. I don't like that it feels like the scene is headed into a more cash-centric operation instead of a "beer buddy" thing.

Just my $0.02
Last edited by ReedM on May 17th, 2017, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beer Curator @ Royal Liquors
1301 W 103rd Street
ReedM

Postby phisherman_77 » May 17th, 2017, 8:13 am

I get that there is a difference, but the difference that you speak of is really just shades of grey to me.

The idea of valuing beer is purely subjective anyway and is really based on each trader's idea of a specific beer's value.

It really doesn't matter as I'm not a beer seller anyway, but I'll freely admit to getting large hauls for $30 bottles like BAA. Speaking of BAA, I've got one, who wants to make me a nice haul offer? :)
phisherman_77

Postby phisherman_77 » May 17th, 2017, 8:14 am

Jake1605 wrote:It's amazing the irony of how some of the people with this stance on the secondary market make their money at their jobs.

I'm not quite following. Are you sure you know what irony means? Perhaps you meant coincidental?
phisherman_77

Postby Kevanyon » May 17th, 2017, 8:19 am

phisherman_77 wrote: The value of any given good is determined by what someone will pay for it.

There is a sucker born every minute! To me, for someone to pay $15+ per ounce for something that isn't curing cancer is silly. But if you have the money to piss away (literally) then by all means go right ahead.
Kevanyon

Next

Return to Beer Trading