Page 2 of 2

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:24 am
by ReedM
localbrewer wrote:In my mind the money should go to the brewery not Joe who is selling it 2nd hand. If the beer is really worth that and people are paying that much the brewery should be selling it for that and making the money. The brewery is making the beer and should be getting most of the profit so that they can keep making good beer.


I don't think the Perennial Society Members would want their BA Abraxas to be $400 each :?

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:28 am
by phisherman_77
Kevanyon wrote:
phisherman_77 wrote: The value of any given good is determined by what someone will pay for it.


There is a sucker born every minute! To me, for someone to pay $15+ per ounce for something that isn't curing cancer is silly. But if you have the money to piss away (literally) then by all means go right ahead.


Yep, it's actually pretty simple. There are some that will put the effort forth to obtain what they want and some that will just pay for it. It's the classic "romantic vs. classical" argument that plays out in just about every aspect of human behavior. See "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig to seek further understanding of this topic.

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:29 am
by phisherman_77
ReedM wrote:
localbrewer wrote:In my mind the money should go to the brewery not Joe who is selling it 2nd hand. If the beer is really worth that and people are paying that much the brewery should be selling it for that and making the money. The brewery is making the beer and should be getting most of the profit so that they can keep making good beer.


I don't think the Perennial Society Members would want their BA Abraxas to be $400 each :?


Yup!

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:55 am
by dansb
I think most of us saw what happened when toppling goliath started selling at significantly elevated prices on site; people were willing to pay it but there was also tons of negative publicity.

I am okay with breweries charging a bit more for vintage or hold back bottle from releases but will not support ones that price insanely. Side projects on premise pricing for example is pretty reasonable.

I will admit I have bought some reasonably priced beer on secondary but it is uncommon. I personally just do not have the resources or trade bait to acquire much hard to get beer; but I am really trying to get out of that. I have picked up beer for people at retail but would never charge above cost; that is what trading is for. I will just go with I am okay with cellar clearing sales at okay prices but would prefer to see less regular selling and more trading.

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 9:03 am
by dansb
I will have to also add the fear factor on selling. I don't want to be jailed/fined for selling a silly beer. I am guessing being in the beer/liquor industry and getting caught, especially in 3 tier Kansas, would not be a good career move.

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 10:29 am
by localbrewer
I want to say how happy I am with how this conversation is going, people are speaking their beliefs on the topic in logical ways. On facebook people did not like that I brought up the topic and voiced my beliefs and I am now completely kicked out of the group :lol:

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 11:21 am
by dansb
localbrewer wrote:I want to say how happy I am with how this conversation is going, people are speaking their beliefs on the topic in logical ways. On facebook people did not like that I brought up the topic and voiced my beliefs and I am now completely kicked out of the group :lol:


If you are in a group that does something you don't agree with and they are not going to change, there are really only 3 options. Accept, ignore, or leave.

While I am not the biggest fan of secondary sales, I am perfectly fine ignoring that aspect as I still wish to trade from time to time.

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 6:24 pm
by Bobby Digital
phisherman_77 wrote:I get that there is a difference, but the difference that you speak of is really just shades of grey to me.

The idea of valuing beer is purely subjective anyway and is really based on each trader's idea of a specific beer's value.

It really doesn't matter as I'm not a beer seller anyway, but I'll freely admit to getting large hauls for $30 bottles like BAA. Speaking of BAA, I've got one, who wants to make me a nice haul offer? :)

I'll offer you a glass for you to pour it in.

Re: KC beer trading facebook

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 4:04 pm
by JRBoulevard_KC
Bobby Digital wrote:
phisherman_77 wrote:I get that there is a difference, but the difference that you speak of is really just shades of grey to me.

The idea of valuing beer is purely subjective anyway and is really based on each trader's idea of a specific beer's value.

It really doesn't matter as I'm not a beer seller anyway, but I'll freely admit to getting large hauls for $30 bottles like BAA. Speaking of BAA, I've got one, who wants to make me a nice haul offer? :)

I'll offer you a glass for you to pour it in.


I'll offer you a one owner cool stored VR share with it! :)