So has anyone here had a "hot wort" from Emperial?

General forum for all things beer.

So has anyone here had a "hot wort" from Emperial?

Postby EricH » December 15th, 2017, 10:06 pm

It's Dewar's and wort, apparently. I think I would try one since its free (with a beer), but I dunno, it sounds kind of weird:

Brewery Emperial (1829 Oak St.) now offers “hot worties,” fresh from the brewing kettle. A hot wort, similar to a hot toddy, is free while supplies last only on brewing days, starting at 4 p.m., with the purchase of a beer.

Brewers Keith Thompson and Sterling Holman make wort for a new batch of beer on brewing days. Wort refers to the sugary liquid extracted from the mashing stage of brewing beer. Cracked grain, most commonly malt, is mashed, mixed in hot water and steeped to create wort. Heating enables enzymes to convert starch in the grain to sugar. Later, yeast is added in another stage that will feed on the sugars and produce alcohol.

Brewery Emperial posts the brewing day schedule on the brewery’s Facebook page and on Instagram. It’s the only clue that hot worties are available. A small amount of freshmade wort is reserved and stored at the bar. To fill an order for a hot wort, a bartender fills a mug with the sugary liquid and adds a shot of Dewar’s Scotch whiskey (or the guest’s preferred whiskey) to the beer cocktail.

The flavor, color and aroma of hot wort varies, depending on the wort produced for a particular beer style. A pilsner hot wort produced the light aroma of yeast and biscuit and a light hazy golden liquor. A stout hot wort would exhibit roasted malt notes.

- http://www.flatlandkc.org/eats-drinks/t ... t-worties/
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Re: So has anyone here had a "hot wort" from Emperial?

Postby csbosox » December 18th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I've not had it there, but I've had it and shared it with others and everyone seems to like it.
csbosox

Postby Jake1605 » December 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm

It's great but they are too sweet for me. I'll have to give theirs a chance though. That's an incredible offer, wonder if they gain any barrels from the deal somehow..
Jake1605

Postby csbosox » December 20th, 2017, 4:01 pm

If anyone is interested, you could buy a pound of crushed base grain (I'd use continental pilsner or marris otter) and steep it in a couple quarts of ~150° water for an hour (or 1/2# in a quart, 1/4# in a pint, etc.) Mix it with whiskey and voila! Or just go brew with a local homebrewer and bring a bottle of brown. The last one sounds like the best option to me.
csbosox

Return to General Beer Discussion