First trip to KC!

General forum for all things beer.

First trip to KC!

Postby tjm02c » August 6th, 2018, 7:40 am

Hi All, I'm new here but heard this forum would be helpful for finding things to do/eat/drink in KC. I'll be there next weekend and already have a few breweries (BKS, Crane, Boulevard, Martin City, Torn Label) on my list to hit. Is there anything else that I should do while I'm in town? I'm open for pretty much any suggestions. The demographics of our group is 5 guys on our annual baseball trip (going to the royals game on Friday night), so anything that involves drinks/sports/bbq would be appreciated! Also for the Royals game, I hear that KC is a big tailgate city. We won't have a car, so can't really set up much of a tailgate, but I was wondering if there are any public tailgates that we could pay to get into that are good or if there's other options that would be fun. Thanks for any advice you've got! Looking forward to drinking around the city.
tjm02c

Re: First trip to KC!

Postby JeremyDanner » August 6th, 2018, 8:17 am

If you're into baseball, definitely drop by the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. It's incredible:

https://www.nlbm.com/

If you have any questions about dropping by BLVD, let me know.
@Jeremy_Danner
JeremyDanner

Postby tjm02c » August 6th, 2018, 10:36 am

yep, the negro league museum is definitely on the list! Thanks
tjm02c

Postby localbrewer » August 6th, 2018, 2:34 pm

For BBQ I would suggest Jack Stack, Q39, Joe's KC, or Arthur Bryant's.
localbrewer

Postby theisti » August 6th, 2018, 3:31 pm

tjm02c wrote: Also for the Royals game, I hear that KC is a big tailgate city. We won't have a car, so can't really set up much of a tailgate, but I was wondering if there are any public tailgates that we could pay to get into that are good or if there's other options that would be fun.

I'd just bring some beers along, and wander around. People are friendly, I'm certain. You'll strike up some great conversations.

If not, pound the beers and head into Craft & Draft inside, really fun spot inside the stadium with great beers.

Cheers

Tim
theisti

Postby keezer » August 6th, 2018, 8:20 pm

You seem to have the brewery list figured out, so I'll give you some food pointers. But before I do, I suggest checking out Double Shift, which is about a 5 min walk from Torn Label.

Not too far from Crane, LC's is an underrated BBQ dive. Horribly slow service if you hit during a peak time, but excellent BBQ.

If you like wings, check out The Peanut. Widely regarded as the best in town. There are a handful of locations.

Since you're going to BKS, I recommend the burgers at Red Door Grill in Brookside. Check out their online menu, which offers more burger options than their printed menu.

If you have to whittle down your brewery list due to time, I'd start with Martin City. Their pizza is super solid, though.
keezer

Postby schumed » August 7th, 2018, 7:35 am

Two new breweries just opened up in recent weeks fairly close to the stadium - New Axiom and East Forty are worth checking out - Also near Torn Label with DoubleShift is Casual Animal Brewing all with in feet of each other
schumed

Postby theisti » August 7th, 2018, 8:44 am

schumed wrote:Two new breweries just opened up in recent weeks fairly close to the stadium - New Axiom and East Forty are worth checking out - Also near Torn Label with DoubleShift is Casual Animal Brewing all with in feet of each other

Brewery Emperial as well, if it's a nice day they have a great patio and superb food. Beer is tasty as well, though perhaps a level below your original list.
theisti

Postby tjm02c » August 7th, 2018, 9:10 am

thanks everyone!
tjm02c

Postby EricH » August 7th, 2018, 10:42 am

Not sure if you guys are into soccer but our MLS team is pretty good, they are called Sporting KC and their next home game is on Sat 8/18. I have not been myself but I hear the stadium is pretty nice.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion