Portland thread Update

General forum for all things beer.

Portland thread Update

Postby wadeprairie » May 14th, 2015, 10:53 am

So wife is heading there for a conference the last week of May and I couldn't help but tag along. I've been through the past threads and already have HOTD, Cascade, Upright & Deschuttes on my list (and all with 1.5 miles of my hotel :o ) The question I had was, since both those threads are going on two years old, are there any new/up & coming spots that I should be sure to hit (beer or foodwise?) I'm also wanting to find a good bottle shop close to one of those because I'm bringing an extra suitcase! Thanks in advance for the help.
wadeprairie

Re: Portland thread Update

Postby redditbl » May 14th, 2015, 12:48 pm

I can't quite remember distance and locations compared to that district you're in... But hit up Baily's taproom and Belmont station for bottles and draft if you can. Also this guy has an awesome link library of live tap updates. http://www.beerguypdx.com/

Not close to downtown, but im partial to Johns Market (Multnomah village) It would only be accessible if you had a rental car though.

I'll be there at the end of june! Can't wait.
redditbl

Postby hopmolester69 » May 14th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Pliny......
hopmolester69

Postby dansb » May 14th, 2015, 6:29 pm

I looked a little because I was curious... did not see anything noteworthy that is new.

I think baileys taproom and beermongers appear to be the closest bottle shops. Beermongers is small but decent. Never been to baileys. I liked Belmont but it is far; and keep an eye out for firestone beers. They sit in Portland much longer than here, and they get a respectable allotment.

Go to the hotd website before arrival and look the vintage bottles. Splurge on one, its worth it. And please bring back any aged bottles they have to-go. Would love to trade.

The Deschutes urinals will make you feel like a king. But honestly of the places you listed... if you run short on time it is not a must see; check the tap list.

Green dragon across from cascade has a lot of taps and a few beers to go. There is also a rogue bottle shop opposite green dragon.
dansb

Postby hopmolester69 » May 14th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Pliny tho....
hopmolester69

Postby redditbl » May 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm

hopmolester69 wrote:Pliny tho....

No more bottles for sale in Oregon. Only tap :-(

But yes you can probably find it once a week on tap somewhere.
redditbl

Postby johnf » May 21st, 2015, 7:11 pm

Going back to PDX in June myself. I haven't done much research on the latest and greatest but high on my list are Apex, Cascade Barrel House, Bailey's, HoTD, and the bar at Higgins.
johnf

Postby SteveJ » May 22nd, 2015, 8:07 am

We were in PDX last fall. Ex Novo is a new place that we really liked. I think the new Commons brewery has opened as well. I thought Saraveza was a cool neighborhood bar, but its a bit out the way. I think most of the old stand-by places have already been named in this and the other threads.
SteveJ

Postby wadeprairie » May 22nd, 2015, 10:21 am

SteveJ wrote:We were in PDX last fall. Ex Novo is a new place that we really liked. I think the new Commons brewery has opened as well. I thought Saraveza was a cool neighborhood bar, but its a bit out the way. I think most of the old stand-by places have already been named in this and the other threads.

Just came across Commons Brewery yesterday in my research. Looks pretty good. I'll do the hard thing and check it out for everyone and report back. Thanks for all the great opinions. Leave next Friday!
wadeprairie

Postby keezer » July 10th, 2016, 11:58 am

Resurrecting this thread. Departing in the morning for Portland. It's been almost exactly two years since my last visit, so I'm curious if you all are aware of any new places I need to check out while in town.

FYI, I'm actually staying with a friend in Vancouver, WA.

I've been to the following and planning to revisit Cascade and HoTD for sure. Also, going to Hood River to check out pFriem and the new Logsdon taproom.

Burnside Brewing Co.
Cascade Brewing Company
Hair of the Dog Brewing Company
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Logsdon Farmhouse Ales
Upright Brewing Company
Tim
keezer

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion