Portland thread Update

General forum for all things beer.

Re: Portland thread Update

Postby redditbl » July 11th, 2016, 7:50 am

Great Notion is killing the Juicy IPA game out there. I've had Juice box, Juice Jr, Stash and Plump. All were some of the best I have had from any area, let alone Portland. Never been to the brewpub because my sister sent these but she likes the place. I'll be checking it out for the first time in August.

The Commons, its a couple blocks away from Cascade. They had some decent beers and a cool tasting room setup.
redditbl

Postby keezer » July 12th, 2016, 6:58 am

redditbl wrote:Great Notion is killing the Juicy IPA game out there. I've had Juice box, Juice Jr, Stash and Plump. All were some of the best I have had from any area, let alone Portland.

Went to Great Notion first yesterday. In addition to having some great IPAs, they also had a couple sours and an interesting imperial stout with an intense maple syrup aroma. This is on the list of must visit places.

Went to Breakside after. Solid beers, but nothing life changing. Really good food.
Tim
keezer

Postby theisti » July 14th, 2016, 7:38 pm

wadeprairie wrote:
SteveJ wrote:We were in PDX last fall. Ex Novo is a new place that we really liked. I think the new Commons brewery has opened as well. I thought Saraveza was a cool neighborhood bar, but its a bit out the way. I think most of the old stand-by places have already been named in this and the other threads.

Just came across Commons Brewery yesterday in my research. Looks pretty good. I'll do the hard thing and check it out for everyone and report back. Thanks for all the great opinions. Leave next Friday!

Commons is great, and right by cascade. Well worth checking out.
theisti

Postby keezer » July 15th, 2016, 10:28 am

Here's a summary of the highlights from my trip, skipping the obvious Portland breweries. We visited 12 breweries and logged >80 Untappd check-ins: Baerlic, Breakside, Cascade, Double Mountain, Ecliptic, Great Notion, Hair of the Dog, Heathen, Logsdon, pFriem, Stormbreaker, The Commons

Great Notion is making great IPAs that are closer to the Vermont style than Pacific Northwest. Must visit.

Baerlic has only been open two years, but I was very impressed with their offerings. They're about a 15 minute walk from Cascade.

pFriem is well known, but I'll mention them because they're quite a drive from Portland and I would rank them as a must visit. Maybe my favorite brewery of the trip. Very well executed classic styles (awesome Pilsner) and fruit lambics. There are a few other breweries in Hood River. The group I was with all agreed Logsdon is overrated, but worth the visit while in Hood River.

I heard quite a bit about Solera Brewery, which is in a tiny town about a 20 minute drive north of Hood River. They were closed the day we went, but we were able to get a pint of Headonist IPA at the BBQ restaurant across the street. They have an amazing view of Mt Hood. I've got it on my must visit list for next time. On the drive back to Hood River, you also get a great view of Mount Adams if visibility is good.

Not beer related, but breakfast at Pine State Biscuit is mandatory. Their biscuits and gravy are the best I've ever had. Just be prepared for a wait. One of their locations shares a building with Great Notion.

Imperial Bottle Shop & Taproom had a nice selection of bottles. Highly recommended.
Tim
keezer

Postby dansb » July 15th, 2016, 11:21 am

Did you have the pfriem peche? A friend got me one but none of us has had it yet.
dansb

Postby keezer » July 15th, 2016, 12:02 pm

dansb wrote:Did you have the pfriem peche? A friend got me one but none of us has had it yet.

I didn't have it while I was there, but I brought back a bottle. They had the Oude Kriek and the Frambozen on draft. The latter was particularly amazing.
Tim
keezer

Postby gerseph » August 9th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Just got back from Portland myself. Thought I'd add a few thoughts.

I didn't get to visit as many breweries as I would have liked and unfortunately Great Notion was out of Juice Box when I stopped in. However, I would echo the sentiment that they are a must visit. Cascade and The Commons are also at the top of my list. I didn't get to pFriem but had a few of their year round offerings. Really solid stuff.

The only slightly negative experience I had was at Hair of the Dog. The employees seemed quite snobbish and rude. The locals at two of the popular beer bars all felt the same way about them.

Speaking of those two bar/bottle shops.. Tin Bucket is a solid spot but Belmont Station is a must visit.
gerseph

Postby keezer » October 8th, 2017, 10:53 am

Just got back from another visit to Portland. We visited Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Base Camp, Culmination, Ex Novo, Great Notion, de Garde, Trap Door, Pfriem and Solera.

Great Notion remains at the top of my list in the Portland metro area. Everything was top tier. They had a couple one-off NE IPA's that were mind blowing. One with raspberries and another was a fruited NE made in collaboration with Weldwerks. They have become much more popular since I visited last year, which has made it much harder to get crowlers. We were unable to get any. Fortunately they are building another brewery on the west side of Portland.

Of the "new to me" breweries that we visited in Portland, the stand-outs were Culmination and Ex Novo. Culmination is a small, unassuming taproom with maybe 20 of their beers on tap and a few guest taps. They had a couple fruited sours that were on par with Cascade. They had a couple NE's--one of them excellent. All of their beers were solid. Ex Novo is a much large taproom that also serves food. All very solid beers. Definitely worth a visit.

I visited Trap Door, which is in Vancouver, WA. Although I wasn't blown away by any of their standard beers, they had a couple really good NE's and a peach-raspberry sour that were really good. If you stop here and are hungry, I recommend getting some carry out pizza from Vancouver Pizza, which is just a few doors down.

de Garde. They had five house beers on tap, 5 guest taps, 4 bottles to go and an impressive array of bottles available only for on premise consumption. They are only open a few days a week and have limited taproom hours--only 3-7 on the day we went. Seating capacity is quite small. You can sit outside if you don't mind the aroma of cow manure. My advice: Plan your arrival time carefully and bring enough friends to delve into their on premise bottle selection. We were unimpressed by their house draft selection, but we may have timed our visit poorly. I'm not sure if I'll return. I will probably need another compelling reason to be near Tillamook.

Pfriem was excellent as usual--with really good food. They had several BA bottles available for on premise consumption or to go--including (I believe) their whole array of fruited lambics. Score!

Solera is a short drive from Pfriem. I got a flight of all 7 available beers--mostly IPAs. The thing is that they are known mostly for their sours, but they only had one--and it was delicious. The rest of their beers were fine. If nothing else, Solera is a must visit because of the view from their beer garden.
Tim
keezer

Previous

Return to General Beer Discussion