Where to get to-go beer between the airport and downtown?

General forum for all things beer.

Where to get to-go beer between the airport and downtown?

Postby wizzy » January 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm

My flight lands around 930pm at MCI and I'm headed to my hotel in Crown Center after I get my rental car. I'd love to pick up a six pack or get a howler filled somewhere along the way. Any suggestions?
wizzy

Re: Where to get to-go beer between the airport and downtown

Postby EricH » January 21st, 2017, 3:09 pm

That's a tough one for me, I am on the complete opposite side of town, but would probably recommend a slight detour off of I-29 to head to Gomer's Northland. They close at 10, though, so you'd have to really motor. Other than that, I am not sure, Crown Center is certainly not a craft beer destination in my book. If you have transportation though, Westport is not very far from Crown Center, and you have lots of options there (Gomer's and Mike's Liquors to name two).

Maybe someone else in the Northland or downtown can give a better suggestion?
No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater...than central air.
EricH

Postby jeffz » January 21st, 2017, 5:00 pm

The Hy-Vee right off I-29 at 64th has a good selection. Probably not quite as good as Gomers...but you don't have to go very far out of your way.
jeffz

Postby wizzy » January 21st, 2017, 5:11 pm

The Hy-ve looks like it will be a good stop, thanks.
wizzy

Postby bigpete » January 21st, 2017, 11:00 pm

I think all Gomers closes at 930 during the week fyi, not 100% sure tho. I have heard good things about Bubbles(not sure where it is up North tho), Red X is on the way but could either be alot of out of date beer or a bunch of limited stuff depending on who worked that afternoon.
bigpete

Postby wizzy » January 22nd, 2017, 9:38 pm

I did wind up at Hy-Vee and picked up Boulevard Heavy Lifting at the suggestion of one of the employees. I didn't have time to do much research so welcomed the input. It was ok, but undistinguished, so I wish I would have journeyed a little farther from the norm.

I did hit Boulevard tasting room for about 5 minutes today; they were open until 7, but when I ran through the door at 635 they had already called last call. Provided a gratis sample of Collaboration #6, and then I headed over to Torn Label for a flight (Hang Em, Blood Christmas, Gustucide, Quadjillo, Alpha - Gustucide was my favorite). Next stop was Q39 where I had a Cinder Block Block IPA.

I realize that I'm branching out from beyond my original request, but what else should I hit? I'll likely have time for 1-2 more stops this week. I'd love to make it down to Crane if time permits. I've got a car, bonus if there's food but more likely than not I'll eat with my coworkers and stop for a beer afterwards.
wizzy

Postby Jake1605 » January 22nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

I love heavy lifting but only when it's less than a monh old fresh. Crane is a must stop, Mike's 63rd & Baltimore a few miles up the road is a good beer shop.
Jake1605

Postby bigpete » January 22nd, 2017, 10:41 pm

Alot of people really like Ruins pub, its a self serve bar. They usually have a few good beers on but the service is terrible and its a weird atmosphere

I like Foundry and Mccoys, its a small brew pub with a craft beer bar attached. The food is pretty good at McCoy's and its mostly bar food at Foundry, but its not bad.

Bottle shops in Midtown/Westport Gomers/Mikes/Plaza liquor are all go to spots. Gomers and Plaza usually have the best pricing, but its hard to get anything limited out of the Midtown Gomers without knowing someone there or being a regular. All have a very similar selection, the only advantage Mikes has is its later hours but the customers tend to be a little more shady.

Brookeside wine and spirits does a good job, its very small and can be over looked easily and might be further South you might want to go.

Way out South is Martin City Brewery, the food is good and the beer really ranges from bad to excellent to be honest but after Torn Label and Crane its really the only other worth visiting unless your going North then Cinder Block is okay, no food tho. If you go out to Martin City you should go to Lukas Liquor, its by far the largest selection in the city and they also have a tavern next door with a ton of taps with Crowlers.
bigpete

Postby dansb » January 23rd, 2017, 9:16 am

I think crane has a bbq truck most nights. Look at a map before you go... the last thousand feet of the drive is a bit tricky with a weird turn and some gravel.
dansb

Postby theisti » January 23rd, 2017, 9:44 am

Brewery Emperial brand new place with incredible food and solid beers. Half pours and flights not advertised, but are available.

Cheers
theisti

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion