JB Tribute Thread

General forum for all things beer.

JB Tribute Thread

Postby EricH » April 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I'm not even sure what to say here, but had to say something, even if I am still in shock and in total disbelief. Such a huge and important part of our community and the craft beer world.

John Bryan was my hero, in total honesty. Always so knowledgeable, fun, kind and generous. He did what we could all only dream of doing, and did it in style, his own style. The kind of person that you just wanted to be around more.

Here's to you, JB. The world has lost a very bright light.
We've been too long American dreaming
I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn, somnambulistic, maniacal
In the dark
EricH

Re: JB Tribute Thread

Postby theisti » April 13th, 2017, 7:21 am

Cheers to posting Eric, incredibly sad news.

John was incredibly formative to the community in Kansas City, as well as many other cities. His personal generosity introduced me to so many beers, and so many good people here in Kansas City.

John was a true treasure, rest in peace my friend.
theisti

Postby phisherman_77 » April 13th, 2017, 7:41 am

Truly a raconteur of the highest order and a heck of a nice guy. RIP JB.

This is the perfect time to repost this pic:
phisherman_77

Postby theisti » April 13th, 2017, 8:50 am

phisherman_77 wrote:Truly a raconteur of the highest order and a heck of a nice guy. RIP JB.

That's fantastic. Looks like a trippy late night interview show.
theisti

Postby Jake1605 » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

He was a fantastic human being, family first type of guy, this is a hard loss. Please let me know the ceremonial arrangements if it is public.
Jake1605

RIP JB

Postby ReedM » April 13th, 2017, 1:35 pm

For those of you who haven't heard yet, John Bryan (JB) passed away yesterday. He was always one of my favorite people to see at festivals and events, and I can't imagine how the beer scene will be affected by this loss.
Beer Curator @ Royal Liquors
1301 W 103rd Street
ReedM

Postby JeremyDanner » April 13th, 2017, 3:25 pm

The first Boulevard glass I ever owned was the OG Smokestack glass, the super heavy one. I stole it from JB during the old school Strong Ale Festival at Power Plant. We'd climbed onto the roof for a little bit during the fest and I somehow remembered that he left it up there when we went back inside. Before I left the festival, I climbed back onto the roof and snagged it. It's in my kitchen right now.
@Jeremy_Danner | @Boulevard_Beer | http://www.boulevard.com/facebook
JeremyDanner

Postby dansb » April 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Figured I would drink a firestone for JB tonight as I would not have them in my fridge had I never met him. Glad I had the chance to talk to him a few times along with the many events I went to that he was at.
dansb

Postby Crixus » April 14th, 2017, 1:00 am

I am truly speechless, a state I do not often find myself in. You see many years ago when I worked for ISPN with fellow bier gnurds Eric Helms and Jerry McMillan I was invited to a private event at Boulevard by my peers at work. Truthfully, I hadn't yet been turned on to the "craft beer phenomenon" that was starting to take root and hold in our fair city (The Paris Of The Plains) and this was long before man-bunned hipsters twenty dollar bombers, barrel aged everything and taprooms by the dozen. Now I've been a social drinker for many years, and I am Irish after all, so I wasn't entirely sure that going to a social event where moderate drinking was encouraged was such a bright idea, but my curiosity got the better of me, and truth be told I was really flattered that Eric had asked me join him.

We were warmly met by a large and fairly handsome man, whom I remember had fantastic taste in music. This immediately opened my up. We were to drink in what is now the taproom at Boulevard, but had not been opened yet to the public. A gorgeous room, which I imagine has only grown more so in age in the days since. My head began reeling, I uptake information pretty quickly, and those of you who know me here, know that I greatly enjoy the opportunity to learn, in almost any capacity, but especially in the accoutrements of culinary delight. I learned the lore of trappist monks, and folks spoke in almost hushed tones about the fine art of fermentation, of pairings and that some day perhaps beer may even be considered as complex as the finest Bordeaux. Of styles so wild, I could not yet wrap my head around them. Of pilgrimages and journeys beyond imagination and reckoning, and again I find my own head spinning in the remembrance.

I have re-told this tale many times, tried countless beers since that day, turned on many friends to craft beer and while this is a fond memory, I cannot help but feel a deep sense of loss. A loss to our city, a loss to the beer community and culture, a loss to many of JB's co-workers, and I am overwhelmed with sadness that will forever now be tied to the day my eyes and palate were opened.

Thank you JB, for that fine day. Thank you for all which you have done for this city and community. You will be sorely missed.

Sincerely,

Ryan Wolsey
Crixus

Postby Bobby Digital » April 14th, 2017, 6:10 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:Truly a raconteur of the highest order and a heck of a nice guy. RIP JB.

I took that pic. He will be missed. Rest in peace JB!
Bobby Digital

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion