Bad Fantome bottles?

General forum for all things beer.
phisherman_77

Bad Fantome bottles?

Post by phisherman_77 » September 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm

So, in the last year or so, I've had a couple chances to pick up Fantome beers. In the past, I've tried them and always found them to be fantastically tasty and unique. In any case, the past two that I've picked up (from Lukas and Gomer's LS respectively) have both been TERRIBLE. Soooo smoky, and I don't just mean like a smoked beer. The beer finish literally tastes like a burnt tire or burnt leather. Really strong. Anyone got a clue?

johnf

Re: Bad Fantome bottles?

Post by johnf » September 19th, 2012, 12:51 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:So, in the last year or so, I've had a couple chances to pick up Fantome beers. In the past, I've tried them and always found them to be fantastically tasty and unique. In any case, the past two that I've picked up (from Lukas and Gomer's LS respectively) have both been TERRIBLE. Soooo smoky, and I don't just mean like a smoked beer. The beer finish literally tastes like a burnt tire or burnt leather. Really strong. Anyone got a clue?
Fantome by all accounts is not a very sanitation minded brewery. I've not had the burnt rubber but have had heavy diacetyl in the last Noel bottling, for example. I generally associate burnt rubber with H2S. Most homebrewing texts blame autolysis but champagne is aged on lees for over a decade in some cases and all autolysis contributes is nuttiness or breadiness. I just don't see much more severe autolysis occuring in beer in a year.

I think you have to buy Fantome expecting at best a 50/50 chance of it being really good.

FWIW, I have never seen bottle to bottle variations. If I buy multiples they are the same. When I tasted diacetyl in last years Noel and talked to friends in other states they reported the same. So if Royal gets in Printemps (or whatever) and you buy one and it is great I think that is the time to go back and stock up.

phisherman_77

Post by phisherman_77 » September 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm

The two culprits were Printemps and La Dalmatienne. Both within the last 12 months.

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » September 19th, 2012, 2:20 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:The two culprits were Printemps and La Dalmatienne. Both within the last 12 months.
Those were two of my favorite beers last year. While I haven't got burnt rubber before, I have had a couple bottles of Saison that had a very distictive Band-Aid taste. Like John said, Fantome is know for have fairly lax quality control. Its annoying but I've always thought it was worth when you get a perfect bottle.
WALDO

Barleywhiner

Post by Barleywhiner » September 20th, 2012, 7:43 am

phisherman_77 wrote:The two culprits were Printemps and La Dalmatienne. Both within the last 12 months.
Totally had the burnt rubber with La Dalmatienne. Not sure what that is, but that's exactly how I described it. Made it through one glass and drain poured it, which takes a lot for me to do.

My bottle of Printemps this year was fantastic.

phisherman_77

Post by phisherman_77 » September 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

This may be a goofy question, but the first time I thought that just maybe it was me, or the beer was supposed to taste like that, but do you try to take it back? Or just drain pour it and take the loss? Fantome isn't particularly cheap.

I didn't even think of googling the burnt rubber taste after the 1st bad bottle. Honestly, my bad luck is doing a good job of chasing me away from Fantomes, at least buying them myself.

csbosox

Post by csbosox » September 25th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Gomers LS has them sitting out in the open, this is not good for Fantome (or DuPont) which are in green bottles. JohnF also touched on the fact that not even the brewery knows what is going on with those beers, some have been great, but I am too scared to buy them due to the bottle color and the uncertainty.

phisherman_77

Post by phisherman_77 » September 26th, 2012, 8:51 am

Does Fantome come from the Shelton Brothers too? Makes you wonder if Fantome is going to be more scarce in the future.

I remember being able to pick from 8-10 different kinds at Gomer's in LS.