GABF 2017 = Kansas and Missouri Winners

General forum for all things beer.

Re: GABF 2017 = Kansas and Missouri Winners

Postby JeremyDanner » October 11th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Hmm. Good catch. In that case, they definitely entered it in one of the subcategories of Dortmunder or German-Style Oktoberfest. You don't necessarily have to enter beer in the competition category that you happen to brand/label it as to the public. Flying Dog used to always enter Gonzo Porter in the Imperial Stout category. They won gold with it in Imperial Stout in 2009. If it came down from above that I had to enter Single-Wide IPA into the GABF competition, I'd likely put it in American Pale Ale given the incredibly lupulin threshold shift that's occurred over the years.
@Jeremy_Danner | @Boulevard_Beer | http://www.boulevard.com/facebook
JeremyDanner

Re: GABF 2017 = Kansas and Missouri Winners

Postby schumed » October 16th, 2017, 7:29 am

EricH wrote:I don't want to make too much out of this, but checking the style guidelines in the pdf, California Common is a subcategory of American-style Amber Lager. Shouldn't they have won the medal for that if that's how the beer was entered?

Dortmunder or German-style Oktoberfest has two different subcategories, Dortmunder/European-style Export and German-style Oktoberfest/Wiesn.

Again, it's no big deal, just curious. It's a tasty beer all the same, I get a sample every time I go there.

As someone who competes a lot on the homebrew scene...you always enter beer what it taste like, not what it is. I'm sure this applies to commercial competitions. The judges don't get recipe info , they just get , this is X beer and its enter as Y category.
schumed

Previous

Return to General Beer Discussion