So Amazon Is Pretty Much The Future

General forum for all things beer.

So Amazon Is Pretty Much The Future

Postby Jake1605 » November 6th, 2017, 1:17 am

How long do you think until they are selling beer with same day delivery and handling their own distribution? I could see a few years down the road them delivering hops the day they are canned.
Jake1605

Re: So Amazon Is Pretty Much The Future

Postby bigpete » November 6th, 2017, 2:17 pm

I had a conversation with a guy about this at a bar last year actually. Between the $25ish fee for alcohol in addition to shipping cost, the state's that don't allow it to be shipped, beer not being cold, not available if you want and have to order it compared to buying it 15ish hours a day. No Amazon will not take over or likely even get into the regulated industry of liquor/wine/beer sales
bigpete

Postby zmitts » November 6th, 2017, 4:12 pm

bigpete wrote:I had a conversation with a guy about this at a bar last year actually. Between the $25ish fee for alcohol in addition to shipping cost, the state's that don't allow it to be shipped, beer not being cold, not available if you want and have to order it compared to buying it 15ish hours a day. No Amazon will not take over or likely even get into the regulated industry of liquor/wine/beer sales

So I was under the impression that Amazon has already started offering alcohol delivery in some of the larger metro areas. I agree that the logistics sound daunting, but I think it's bound to happen sooner or later and Amazon would seem to be the most likely company to tackle it at this point in time.
zmitts

Postby EricH » November 6th, 2017, 5:20 pm

I can only speak for myself, but the only beer I have ever ordered over the Internet has been Westy 12, and it definitely was not predicated on same-day delivery, purely on lack of availability. I think it took a month to arrive.

For Joe Sixpack it would make more sense, no more having to go to the liquor store to buy your suitcase of macro swill.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby bigpete » November 6th, 2017, 5:21 pm

That's crazy, I know liquor stores have delivered forever, but I know Mikes tried an app and sold to a minor in just a few days. I have to think this won't work and will just make it easier for underage kids to get alcohol.
bigpete

Postby KCOptimator » November 6th, 2017, 9:00 pm

bigpete wrote:I had a conversation with a guy about this at a bar last year actually. Between the $25ish fee for alcohol in addition to shipping cost, the state's that don't allow it to be shipped, beer not being cold, not available if you want and have to order it compared to buying it 15ish hours a day. No Amazon will not take over or likely even get into the regulated industry of liquor/wine/beer sales

You can already buy wine from Amazon. Amazon would like to have a piece of every transaction in America, so if they can figure out a way to make beer sales work, they’ll add that to their portfolio.
KCOptimator

Postby JSchock7 » November 8th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I was in Seattle last year and used Prime Now and received a 6 pack, a bomber, and some munchies in 30 minutes which was pretty legit. Answered the door, dude checked my ID, gave me my beer and that was it. There was an extra fee or something in order to Prime Now it but worth it.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP
JSchock7

Return to General Beer Discussion