Top local breweries?

General forum for all things beer.

Top local breweries?

Postby King_Chris913 » January 29th, 2018, 12:00 pm

What are your favorite 3 local breweries and why?
King_Chris913

Re: Top local breweries?

Postby keezer » January 30th, 2018, 9:13 am

It's hard to pin down 3, but today I'll go with...

Torn Label: Best hoppy beers in town (yeah, I've had BKS and I'm not convinced...yet)
Double Shift: They were an embarrassment initially, but Bryan has turned them around. They're doing well with a wide variety of styles.
Free State: This is totally a sentimental pick. Their distributed stuff is generally meh. I love the restaurant. Good food and almost always something interesting to try beer-wise. Looking forward to the rumored return of Owd Mac.

Haven't been to Stockyards in a while, so not sure how they're doing. Haven't been to Colony or Calibration, and honestly I don't have a reason to go from what I hear.
Tim
keezer

Postby King_Chris913 » January 30th, 2018, 11:08 am

I posted this hoping someone mention double shift. I've been reluctant to try them but I'll have to make sure I do.
King_Chris913

Postby keezer » January 30th, 2018, 11:54 am

King_Chris913 wrote:I posted this hoping someone mention double shift. I've been reluctant to try them but I'll have to make sure I do.

Don't expect to have your mind blown, but they are making solid beer.
Tim
keezer

Postby EricH » January 30th, 2018, 3:44 pm

What about you, OP? What are your Top 3 and why?
EricH

Postby Jake1605 » January 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm

No particular order, and you get 4:

Crane - simple but right, great beach beers, not just out for a buck
Freestate - they put out better German beers than they do in Germany, regular lineup is boring though. Wish they would've be so cracker box like with the branding
Boulevard - late to the party but the Belgian beers and Smokestack series are typically a top example of the style
Last edited by Jake1605 on January 31st, 2018, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake1605

Postby keezer » January 30th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Jake1605 wrote:No particular order, and you get 4:

Crane
Freestate
Boulevard
Torn Label

He said to say why. Play by the rules! :mrgreen:

It was hard to omit Boulevard from my list. They may be the big boy, but they're still doing good things and I love the beer hall.
Tim
keezer

Postby Jake1605 » January 31st, 2018, 8:16 am

I don't care if they're big, whether you are into their beer or not they respectfully hit the mark on any style they take on. Far better than New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Oscar Blues
Jake1605

Postby schumed » January 31st, 2018, 9:07 am

Boulevard - Since the opening of the Beer Hall - they are constantly putting out new stuff, the new barrel aged beers have been solid, brewhouse one series has hit it out of the park, BBQ year round now? get out of here. You name it they can do it and I love hanging out at the beer hall usually there almost every Friday around 3pm to get my free pour being an AHA member

Stockyards - They make beers I like and would drink on a regular basis. When are we going to get some Cerveza Royale in cans. I need a 12 pack of that this summer.

BKS - The Hoppy Stuff and Sours seem to be getting most the love and they should be but I go there for Rochhill and Locust: Mild with Coffee.

Honorable Mention - Colony KC - I like it for the one of kind of beers they are putting out on a weekly basis and has been executed well from the beginning. Its small but mighty
schumed

Postby keezer » January 31st, 2018, 12:32 pm

schumed wrote:BKS - The Hoppy Stuff and Sours seem to be getting most the love and they should be but I go there for Rochhill and Locust: Mild with Coffee.

I had heard great things about the mild from a couple people, but the week I went, it had a back-of-the-throat burn like the IPAs and it was way over-carbed.
Tim
keezer

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion