Visit to Bearded Iris & Southern Grist

General forum for all things beer.

Visit to Bearded Iris & Southern Grist

Postby quislet » February 27th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Hey all,

Heading to Nashville in a few weeks and hoped to visit one or both of these places as I've heard good things. Wanted to ask info of anyone on here who's been. I'll be traveling with a couple of co-workers who are older and aren't craft beer drinkers. I don't think they are opposed to drinking craft but might only be used to drinking some more common styles. I don't want to miss out on going but don't want them going out of their way to take me there only to watch me drink! So, do they have some more "common" styles available or are they pretty much both focused on IPAs and more craft-centric styles?

Appreciate your help!
quislet

Re: Visit to Bearded Iris & Southern Grist

Postby theisti » February 27th, 2018, 5:36 pm

I've been to bearded iris, not Southern grist.

I really liked the vibe at bearded iris, though when I was there, they only had 3 beers on so can't speak to options for your coworkers.

It's worth hitting for the ambience alone, though.

Cheers

Tim
theisti

Postby govlady » February 27th, 2018, 8:30 pm

I'm actually headed there this weekend and was planning to hit up both of them. I'll let you know how it goes, man!
govlady

Postby markk » February 28th, 2018, 7:35 am

Bearded Iris is pretty much always IPA's and DIPA's, albeit fantastic ones that I can't recommend highly enough. They occasionally do some other styles, but it's usually only one option out of the 6-8 beers they will have on tap.

Southern Grist will have more of a variety of styles on, but it won't necessarily be common styles. They usually have a couple of sours, a brown, and a stout in addition to IPA's.

For a variety of good beers in Nashville, I would recommend Smith and Lentz. They make some solid IPA's and also typically have on a good pilsner as well as a hefeweizen and a dunkel. Craft Brewed is another option that will have a great variety. There setup is similar to Bier Station; lot's of beers on tap with a great selection of local stuff, as well as an attached bottle shop.
markk

Postby Bobby Digital » February 28th, 2018, 8:55 am

I have a friend that just moved there and got a job at Bearded Iris. He's a KC guy (worked at BLVD) so he'd probably be stoked to show you around. PM if you'd like me to get you in contact with him.
Bobby Digital

Postby quislet » March 2nd, 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks to all of you for the information and suggestions. If my coworkers can't handle trying something new maybe I will go my own way as I don't want to miss the opportunity to see these places and taste their beer! Bobby, I appreciate you offering up to connect me with your friend! Just sent you a PM.
quislet

Return to General Beer Discussion