KS Senate advances bill allowing stronger beer

General forum for all things beer.

KS Senate advances bill allowing stronger beer

Postby EricH » March 19th, 2018, 3:12 pm

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2018/mar/1 ... coholic-c/

FTFA (emphasis mine): 'Bradley said there are already commercial beers on the market in Kansas with alcohol content as high as 22 and 28 percent, and he described the 15 percent limit as "not that high."'

There are beers on the market in KS at 22 and 28 percent? Not to my knowledge... anyone else know what those might be exactly, or are we being really broad with the definition of beer to include mead or something?
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Re: KS Senate advances bill allowing stronger beer

Postby keezer » March 19th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Granted it's a rare sighting, but last year Old Chicago in Olathe had a bottle of Utopias, which is 28%
keezer

Postby EricH » March 19th, 2018, 6:32 pm

True, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "beers" rather than just that particular beer since it's the only one, but you're right.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby nightfly_dp » March 19th, 2018, 11:38 pm

I know that Kansas has had its share of Shmaltz Jewbelations over 15% over the years.

Honestly, if they are allowing hard liquor, why does beer need a ABV limit?
nightfly_dp

Postby bigpete » March 20th, 2018, 12:14 am

dogfish head 120 and WWS are both around 20% and I think they hit KS. Also alot of Avery gold foil beers seen to be at 15%+
bigpete

Postby JeremyDanner » March 21st, 2018, 7:23 am

nightfly_dp wrote:I know that Kansas has had its share of Shmaltz Jewbelations over 15% over the years.

When it comes to liquor laws like this, it's not about logic. It's about lobbying power from liquor and beer wholesalers.
Ambassador Brewer, Boulevard Brewing Co.
Twitter: @Jeremy_Danner
JeremyDanner

Postby Lagerinthefront » March 21st, 2018, 8:00 am

JeremyDanner wrote:
nightfly_dp wrote:I know that Kansas has had its share of Shmaltz Jewbelations over 15% over the years.

When it comes to liquor laws like this, it's not about logic. It's about lobbying power from liquor and beer wholesalers.

...and the inbred hayseeds out west
Lagerinthefront

Postby keezer » March 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm

Lagerinthefront wrote:
JeremyDanner wrote:When it comes to liquor laws like this, it's not about logic. It's about lobbying power from liquor and beer wholesalers.

...and the inbred hayseeds out west

I've been surprised by how much support the legislature and governor have given to improving liquor laws in KS the last few years. Based on what I've seen/heard, a lot of the lack of progress has actually been due to conflicting interests within the industry and getting the ABC to agree with proposed changes. I'm sure religious interests play a role, but not as big a role as I had previously thought.
keezer

Postby beer4bill » March 22nd, 2018, 6:19 am

When homebrew competitions were legalized in KS, ~3 years ago. It was the lobbyist for the distributors that made the statement homebrewed beers killed people. I suspect not too many religious folks were paying for the liquor distributor lobbyist. At the time were we told the push from the liquor distributor lobbyist was a ploy to include selling strong beer and liquor at grocery stores the same bill.

Cheers!
beer4bill

Return to General Beer Discussion