Singles selection?

General forum for all things beer.

Singles selection?

Postby EricH » May 5th, 2018, 10:51 pm

This is something I've wondered for a long time now and am just getting around to asking, even though it's probably a rhetorical question.

How can tiny little Lawrence, KS support at least three bottle shops that single out every 12oz.-16oz. bottle that they stock -- Jensen's, On the Rocks and Cork and Barrel (probably both Cork and Barrels do this, I would imagine, I have only been to the one at 23rd & Iowa) have several hundred bottles available with which to make your own sixers, all of which are stored in a cooler and all very well organized.

Greater Kansas City, with a population of about 2.3 million people, has zero stores that do this.

Why?

P.S. Does anyone else remember 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall from back in the day? That place ruled.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Re: Singles selection?

Postby Jake1605 » May 6th, 2018, 7:20 am

Same reason you see 30 packs in Kansas but not KCMO, and a larger product backlog in mo vs space. There are a lot more products and shelf competition in Missouri. Kansas stores closed to KC have less singles too because of similar challenges. Lukas won't sell me a single if it's not in the door, they get pissy about it. In larger markets they want units sold fast and look at a single as a small purchase not worth it rather than an add on, while smaller markets sell down quicker because there are less craft drinkers to buy up the packs. I'd also imagine that rent in a building/size of the building have to do with it as well. And although stores like Happy Hour & Mike's have been selling singles for years, the law updated within the last few years.
Jake1605

Postby Barleywhiner » May 6th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Sadly Jensen’s is no more :(
Barleywhiner

Postby EricH » May 6th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Whoa, when did that happen?
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby theisti » May 7th, 2018, 11:38 am

I too am bummed that there are no stores in the KC metro that offer all beers as singles. Having said that, I have had luck finding solid single / mix a six selection at:

- Tipsys in Mission on Johnson Drive
- Missies in Shawnee, on Shawnee Mission Pkwy
- Royal 103rd, with Reed's postings here, have had some nice beers from the singles door

Any other good spots? I don't get out as often as I used to, so many places may have improved significantly since my last visit.

Cheers,

Tim
theisti

Postby keezer » May 7th, 2018, 2:20 pm

I don't even look at singles selections anymore after getting burned by old bottles. Maybe the KC places that offer singles would turnover faster if it were a more robust and promoted offering.
keezer

Postby Barleywhiner » May 8th, 2018, 9:26 pm

EricH wrote:Whoa, when did that happen?

I think it’s been a couple of years now.
Barleywhiner

Postby ReedM » May 11th, 2018, 6:26 am

Mine gets filled maybe twice a month. I need to get better about filling ours, it always does REALLY well (And I don't put old shit in there at all)
Beer Curator @ Royal Liquors
1301 W 103rd Street
ReedM

Postby King_Chris913 » May 11th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Yea Tipsys and Missies are really clutch on the KS side. Those are my go to for singles
King_Chris913

Return to General Beer Discussion