Remember when Brut IPAs were cool?

General forum for all things beer.

Remember when Brut IPAs were cool?

Postby keezer » April 19th, 2019, 9:59 am

Going back a few months or more, the new hot (pun intended) thing has been beers fermented with Kviek yeast. It's a legacy Norwegian strain that ferments at a wide temp range and can even ferment hot like some Saison strains, but with fairly clean fermentation character. It also has unusual storage characteristics.

It seems like all the local breweries have been experimenting with this yeast lately--making a fairly wide variety of styles. What have you guys thought?

I've found that it often exhibits a citrus like quality. Interesting for sure. I haven't been blown away, but I've had some good beers. One of my favorites was one that Transport had on a few weeks ago.
keezer

Re: Remember when Brut IPAs were cool?

Postby phisherman_77 » April 19th, 2019, 11:00 am

I'm confused. Kviek yeast doesn't really have anything to do with Brut IPAs, at least in an exclusive sense?

You can use really any high attenuating yeast for a Brut IPA. The Brut characteristics come from amylase enzymes during fermentation.
phisherman_77

Postby keezer » April 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:I'm confused. Kviek yeast doesn't really have anything to do with Brut IPAs, at least in an exclusive sense?

You can use really any high attenuating yeast for a Brut IPA. The Brut characteristics come from amylase enzymes during fermentation.

The title was a joke and a jab at brute IPAs. They've been replaced by Kviek as the cool new thing brewers are obsessed with.
keezer

Postby phisherman_77 » April 21st, 2019, 8:54 am

Ahhh, makes more sense now! :)

Kviek beers are super hit and miss for me. The best I've had was at last year's Lost Township Fest, the guys from Kros Strain brought a kviek NEIPA that was really good.
phisherman_77

Postby schumed » April 22nd, 2019, 11:22 am

Kviek yeast more than anything to me is helping brewers turnover beer faster and with less flaws because of the nature of the yeast. I think that is why so many brewers have gravitated to it. I think its pretty clean myself and haven't really found it to add much yeast character at all and allows your hops, malt, adjunts be the star.

I've been pretty impressed with it myself with my homebrewing. Its pretty much dumb proof for new and inexperienced brewers.
schumed

Postby Jake1605 » April 22nd, 2019, 5:26 pm

Boring beer
Jake1605

Postby JEdmund » April 26th, 2019, 9:06 am

I've only had two kviek beers on tap, one at Free State and the other at Lawrence Beer Co. I remember really liking Free State's but not so much LBC's. They might have been different styles though..can't quite recall.

I homebrewed with kviek a couple months ago and was blown away by how quickly it got to work. We could see visible action within 30 minutes of pitching it. Seems like it finished up in a day or two too. Unfortunately the beer itself didn't turn out great, but no fault of the yeast.

Seems like a very exciting new yeast strain for brewers as Schumed explained.
JEdmund

Return to General Beer Discussion