Boulevard discontinues Bully! Porter

General forum for all things beer.
EricH

Boulevard discontinues Bully! Porter

Post by EricH » February 27th, 2020, 3:11 pm

https://www.boulevard.com/2020/02/11/boulevard-in-2020/

Maybe not the newest of news, but I hadn't heard yet. I'm afraid this is going to damage my relationship with Boulevard to an extent --I'm taking this one personally. Sorry not sorry, Boulevard.

I've never had any beer onhand as much as that one, over the last 20 years or so. That style is totally under-represented in the current marketplace and will be more or less impossible to replace.

I guess I should have known this was coming when they sold out to Duvel-Moortgat, because it was likely just the will of John McDonald that kept that stuff in their lineup for so long. Meh. Fuck 'em.
"Une Rochefort, c'est bien.
Deux Rochefort, c'est moins.
Trois Rochefort, faut pas le faire."

nightfly_dp

Re: Boulevard discontinues Bully! Porter

Post by nightfly_dp » February 28th, 2020, 12:03 am

Almost like that someone is taking this more personally than me.

As I originally started with craft beer 20+ years ago, Bully was the first "dark" beer I took a chance on and I always enjoyed it. I only saw the news a couple of weeks ago, but I cannot find any remaining stock as I continue to look under rocks for one last visit with my old friend.

I was able to have a pint at their Beer Hall, for what that's worth, but still want to find some more.

keezer

Post by keezer » February 28th, 2020, 11:43 am

I get why people are upset by this move, but I think it makes sense given the craft beer market trends. I wish they had replaced it with a decent beer, instead of Phantom Haze, which is a steaming pile of crap IMO.

EricH

Post by EricH » February 28th, 2020, 12:22 pm

I recall seeing John McDonald say once that even though that beer did not sell well over the last several years, it was one that they would continue to produce anyway, so I went back and found the article on that. It was very telling:

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/lifest ... a5711.html

Boulevard’s Bully Porter, a dark, chocolate-forward, American-style porter doesn’t set any sales records, but John said they will keep it in the line.

“I love that brand and the beer, but we don’t sell hardly any of it,” he said, looking a little disappointed. “I don’t understand why, but we don’t. We will keep making that brand. It’s part of who we were and who we are.”

Who they are, John stressed, is Kansas City’s brewery.

John pointed out that five years ago there were three breweries that made 85 percent of the beer sold in the U.S. and they were all owned by Americans. Five years later, all three are owned by foreign interests.

“Anheuser-Busch was one of the largest brewers in the world for a long time,” he said. “Well, that company, AB-InBev, is now four times as big as AB was and it’s all through acquisition. Does the world get better because of theses global conglomerates? I don’t think so.”

(Emphasis mine)

And there we have it.

Boulevard is no longer Kansas City's brewery. They are Duvel-Moortgat's brewery, a global conglomerate which is based in Belgium.

@nightfly, if I find any, I will definitely let you know.

keezer

Post by keezer » February 28th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Personally I think think Boulevard (and therefore KC) is probably better off today than they would have been without the merger and the business leadership that came with it. Craft beer has become a much more difficult business in recent years as drinking preferences have changed. Too many breweries are struggling or closing. I think it's harder for the big boys that are essentially making all of their money on distribution where margins are super thin and competition is fierce. I don't like some of the decisions they've made about brands--removals and additions--but overall I'm happy with who they are today.

Also, I think Black Butte is a better standard Porter. :P

Edit: the KC craft beer scene has improved tremendously in the last couple years! The number of new small craft breweries ensures there's something for everyone...and it might be just down the road from where we live or work!

nightfly_dp

Post by nightfly_dp » March 2nd, 2020, 12:43 am

I am definitely happy about the increased scene, KC did seem a bit late to the party. Only issue, and this only applies to me (caregiving, wife not a fan of beer, etc), is that circumstances dictate that I don't get out much LOL. I'm not mad at Blvd at the end of the day, I figured the days were numbered when Dry Stout was discontinued and we got many more years of Bully, disappointed though.

Many of those new breweries are not distributing yet, though that's picking up. I find myself picking up Martin City quite often. I do have enough vacation that I can play hooky on the odd Friday and try to hit the breweries that serve food or otherwise open at reasonable times.

Anyway @EricH, I appreciate it and hope for some luck. My son did recently encounter another discontinued brew (Tropical IPA) at a nearby QuikTrip so who knows what might come up. I have hit most of the major craft locations, but mostly gave up after I couldn't even find it (or Tropical or 80 Acre) at Royal, where almost everything distributed in the last several years is available. I'll keep looking under rocks and give an update if any shows up.

EricH

Post by EricH » March 2nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

You guys are being awfully diplomatic about this. :D I guess I just don't feel like dealing with it in that way.

But, I did have a nice run-in with Michael Crane a couple of days ago, he reminded me that they make a nice Porter called Omar that is coming out in cans this week. Actually he mentioned that everything they make will be canned from here on out, which I think is a great idea.

I also had a nice trip to Free State over the weekend and got to try/bring home some great stuff from there.

Our little corner of the beer world is still a good place, I just have to change who I patronize a little. ;)

keezer

Post by keezer » March 2nd, 2020, 4:40 pm

EricH wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 12:03 pm
You guys are being awfully diplomatic about this. :D I guess I just don't feel like dealing with it in that way.
Well, if they were to close the Beer Hall, the response will not be diplomatic! The Beer Hall is what I like best about Boulevard these days.

JSchock7

Post by JSchock7 » March 9th, 2020, 5:24 pm

EricH wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

But, I did have a nice run-in with Michael Crane a couple of days ago, he reminded me that they make a nice Porter called Omar that is coming out in cans this week. Actually he mentioned that everything they make will be canned from here on out, which I think is a great idea.

I also had a nice trip to Free State over the weekend and got to try/bring home some great stuff from there.
Yeah, they've been slowly moving to cans for a couple months now and they have been selling well and have been coming out with a wide range of styles other than their normal sours which has been good too see. Had Free State John Brown ale on tap this weekend for the first time in awhile. Forgot how good that beer is and how well it represents the Brown Ale style.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP

nightfly_dp

Post by nightfly_dp » August 19th, 2020, 9:42 am

A bit of good news. Our old friend Bully! visits us as part of the fall sample 12 pack along with Snow & Tell, Wheat, and a tasting room IPA according to their recent FB post it should be out next week.