What are you drinking and what do you think about it?

General forum for all things beer.
JRBoulevard_KC

Re: What are you drinking and what do you think about it?

Post by JRBoulevard_KC » December 11th, 2013, 7:57 am

booyahachieved3 wrote:
DustinM wrote:Boulevard Imperial Stout. One and only bottle I'll be buying. Just not digging it much
Have you had other vintages? I had an 11 in July and was not impressed. Bought a 13 hoping the 11 was just over the hill.
Remember too, 2011 batch #2 had that brett "infection" notice issued. Not bad per say, just not as expected by some

http://beerpulse.com/2011/04/boulevard- ... tanomyces/

OutOfPlace

Post by OutOfPlace » December 11th, 2013, 9:43 am

I will be trying the Bouley Imp Stout for the first time soon. Really the only one of their beers released in the past four years I have not had. I have high hopes, so some of the negative feedback in here is making me nervous

DustinM

Post by DustinM » December 11th, 2013, 5:29 pm

booyahachieved3 wrote:
DustinM wrote:Boulevard Imperial Stout. One and only bottle I'll be buying. Just not digging it much
Have you had other vintages? I had an 11 in July and was not impressed. Bought a 13 hoping the 11 was just over the hill.
Ya. Had 2011 a couple times in the past year, both batches. I may be in the minority but I actually liked the infected batch better than the non.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to barrel age an Imperial Stout go all the way. Don't really understand it only being 40% barrel aged.

booyahachieved3

Post by booyahachieved3 » December 11th, 2013, 5:34 pm

From what I understand, barrel aging affects the body of the beer significantly, so I'm assuming the blending is a) even out the prevalence of the whiskey and b) to keep carbonation and mouthfeel where the Boulevard brewers and Mr Witte want it. I'm no home brewer so I'm just guessing. If im wrong here someone correct me.
Rock chalk Jayhawk!

JRBoulevard_KC

Post by JRBoulevard_KC » December 11th, 2013, 5:42 pm

booyahachieved3 wrote:From what I understand, barrel aging affects the body of the beer significantly, so I'm assuming the blending is a) even out the prevalence of the whiskey and b) to keep carbonation and mouthfeel where the Boulevard brewers and Mr Witte want it. I'm no home brewer so I'm just guessing. If im wrong here someone correct me.
Yep, that's pretty close to what Mr. Danner said in his video introducing this year's version.

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » December 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm

DustinM wrote:
booyahachieved3 wrote:
Ya. Had 2011 a couple times in the past year, both batches. I may be in the minority but I actually liked the infected batch better than the non.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to barrel age an Imperial Stout go all the way. Don't really understand it only being 40% barrel aged.
Disagree with this. 2 of my absolute favorite barrel aged beers are blends of barrel and non barrel aged beers, The Abyss and The Bruery's White Oak. Then again any barrel aged beer that smacks you in the face with wood is garbage. Just trying to hide a subpar base beer or don't know what they are.doing.
WALDO

csbosox

Post by csbosox » December 11th, 2013, 10:25 pm

I'm drinking the Imperial Stout and I am loving it. For the past several years, I pretty much don't drink the style since most examples are just out of balance and not enjoyable to my palate. Bourbon Barrel aged ones tend to be the worst, overly boozy and too much oak. This beer is nearly a perfect example of the style. Balanced in nearly every way. Great flavors of dark fruit, barrel/whiskey, chocolate, dulce de leche and slight roast. Full mouthfeel, but with a mostly balanced finsh. Warming, but not hot. I'll probably pick up another bottle.

EricH

Post by EricH » December 12th, 2013, 1:17 am

I'm with Chris here. Halfway through my first 2013 bottle and I think it's delicious.
"Une Rochefort, c'est bien.
Deux Rochefort, c'est moins.
Trois Rochefort, faut pas le faire."

booyahachieved3

Post by booyahachieved3 » December 13th, 2013, 9:34 am

I did a little experiment last night.

Toasted 3/4 cup of unsweetened coconut, and steeped 6 oz of 2013 BCBS with the toasted coconut for 30 min. Blended the two halves of the bottle to preserve what carbonation I could.

This was fantastic, the toasted coconut really came through (the only thing my wife had at home was cheap stuff; I'd be excited to try something higher quality). If this is anything like Proprietor's expect a beer similar to a bourbon soaked Mounds bar.
Rock chalk Jayhawk!

OutOfPlace

Post by OutOfPlace » December 13th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Shared an Imperial Stout yesterday, and thought it was delish