What are you drinking and what do you think about it?

General forum for all things beer.
keezer

Re: What are you drinking and what do you think about it?

Post by keezer » January 15th, 2014, 6:21 pm

ChrisTheBeerFan wrote:Boulevard Irish Ale. This was my first Boulevard Irish Ale, maybe my first Irish ale in general. Probably my last. Not a fan. At least the 6 pack was only $6.99

What about it didn't work for you? I've found personally that Boulevarad's seasonal's vary slightly from year-to-year. I remember 2012 being a very good year. Haven't had the 2014 yet. It's still January for Gods sake--and Nutcracker season as far as I'm concerned!

keezer

Post by keezer » January 15th, 2014, 9:38 pm

ChrisTheBeerFan wrote:having this amidst all of the wonderful imperial stouts of the last couple of months (Abyss, BCBS) and the IPAs that have come out recently (Sucks, Celebration), Irish Ale just seemed so plain.

Just as I suspected. Unfortunately a lot of solid beers now live in the shadow of beers like the ones you've referenced above. Boulevard's Irish Ale is actually one of the more assertive examples of the style.

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » January 18th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Urban Chestnut Cuvee de Peche with the UC brewers at Flying Saucer.
WALDO

flip

Post by flip » January 18th, 2014, 3:21 pm

hwwty4 wrote:Urban Chestnut Cuvee de Peche with the UC brewers at Flying Saucer.

How was it? I really wanted to swing by Bier Station to try this, but don't think I'll make it.

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » January 18th, 2014, 3:35 pm

More like a true berliner weisse with a little peach. Damn tasty. Had 2 already.
WALDO

JRBoulevard_KC

Post by JRBoulevard_KC » January 21st, 2014, 7:23 pm

Ofallon BDS Belgian Style Dark Ale. July 2010.

This was one of the first limited barrel aged beers I bought other then boulevard. Kinda has a special place in my heart. Decided to crack it open during the KSU game.

The wax was crazy thick, but after busting through, the port barrel burnt molasses booz hit me.Get some sweet/fruit too. Very complex actually. I like it. A sipper. About time to open I'd say if u have one.

EricH

Post by EricH » January 23rd, 2014, 12:25 am

I was going to have some 2012 Night Stalker, but it was infected, some really weird chemical/funk thing going on. Very bad. There goes $10 down the drain.

Now I'm on to some 2013 GD Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. I really like this beer a lot, and look forward to its release every year. The chocolate is very subtle in its use and there is just a touch of heat on the finish from the cayenne on top of an already great oak aged Imperial. If you can find it on draft, it's even better.
"Une Rochefort, c'est bien.
Deux Rochefort, c'est moins.
Trois Rochefort, faut pas le faire."

DustinM

Post by DustinM » January 23rd, 2014, 6:25 pm

2013 Abyss. I've given this beer several tries but its time to finally give it up. I don't like it and I never have. Tastes like burnt.........everything. Bitter and unappealing. The only reason I'll continue to buy it is for trading.

midtownbeernerd

Post by midtownbeernerd » January 23rd, 2014, 9:16 pm

Just opened a bottle of pliny the elder that I acquired in a trade this week, bottled 17 days ago. Piney, grapefruity, floral and delicious.

patrick

Post by patrick » January 24th, 2014, 1:20 am

Petrus Oak Aged Pale - Awesome as usual. Sour.
Nebraska EOS Wheat - I remember this being more.. spicy, but it was just kinda boring.
Abita Grapefruit Harvest IPA - this was surprisingly good. White grapefruity (despite saying ruby red on the bottle) + hops.

A bunch of Strongbow (firesale).