Let's go broke and start a brewery.

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Re: Let's go broke and start a brewery.

Postby keezer » August 26th, 2015, 8:58 pm

I don't know you, so take this at face value: any legit brewers involved in this venture? Too many homebrewers get told falsely by very polite people that their beer is good, when in fact they either have no idea or are merely being polite.
Tim
keezer

Postby Jay Aber » August 27th, 2015, 7:06 am

To be fair though, we all know here that brewing good beer is not necessarily a prerequisite to having a successful brewery. Brewing good beer is a plus, and having excellent beer can prop up a brewery that might otherwise fail due to poor management, undercapitalization, or other myriad reasons. I think that a well managed and properly capitalized brewery that makes average or poor beer is actually more likely to succeed than the poorly managed brewery making great beer.
Jay Aber

Postby EricH » August 27th, 2015, 11:00 am

Jay Aber wrote:To be fair though, we all know here that brewing good beer is not necessarily a prerequisite to having a successful brewery. Brewing good beer is a plus, and having excellent beer can prop up a brewery that might otherwise fail due to poor management, undercapitalization, or other myriad reasons. I think that a well managed and properly capitalized brewery that makes average or poor beer is actually more likely to succeed than the poorly managed brewery making great beer.

My initial reaction to this was "what?!", but no, you're absolutely right. There really are plenty of breweries out there making average or poor beer, and in some cases, they've been around for a long time.
EricH

Postby hopmolester69 » August 28th, 2015, 4:09 am

keezer wrote:I don't know you, so take this at face value: any legit brewers involved in this venture? Too many homebrewers get told falsely by very polite people that their beer is good, when in fact they either have no idea or are merely being polite.

No actually haha, my friend and I don't even claim to be legit brewers or have good beer. We just like to make beer and experiment with formulas and have fun. I understand that being good at brewing has nothing to do with running a business. In fact I'm pretty sure that I'll be hiring a consultant along with people who actually know how to brew properly. I don't have any experience in running a business at all. Isn't that why you hire people that know how? I figure I'd start small, lose a lot of money and either quit or make it, regardless I would have given it a shot. Some people might call it dumb and some people might call it following a passion.
hopmolester69

Postby keezer » August 28th, 2015, 9:30 am

Jay Aber wrote:To be fair though, we all know here that brewing good beer is not necessarily a prerequisite to having a successful brewery. Brewing good beer is a plus, and having excellent beer can prop up a brewery that might otherwise fail due to poor management, undercapitalization, or other myriad reasons. I think that a well managed and properly capitalized brewery that makes average or poor beer is actually more likely to succeed than the poorly managed brewery making great beer.

I agree. In the current craft beer starved market, this is true. Weston is a great example of this. Craft demand is clearly outpacing craft supply. I suspect that once the market starts reaching saturation, some of the brewers who make inferior products will see declines in cash flow and be forced to make hard decisions. Given the raging interest in anything craft/artisanal and the very small number of local craft breweries, it seems like it will be a while before saturation is reached.
Tim
keezer

Postby keezer » August 28th, 2015, 9:40 am

hopmolester69 wrote:No actually haha, my friend and I don't even claim to be legit brewers or have good beer. We just like to make beer and experiment with formulas and have fun. I understand that being good at brewing has nothing to do with running a business. In fact I'm pretty sure that I'll be hiring a consultant along with people who actually know how to brew properly. I don't have any experience in running a business at all. Isn't that why you hire people that know how? I figure I'd start small, lose a lot of money and either quit or make it, regardless I would have given it a shot. Some people might call it dumb and some people might call it following a passion.

Good luck dude. Like I implied, I didn't mean for the question to be insulting. Was just curious. Brewing passable beer is not hard if that's your goal.
Tim
keezer

Postby EricH » August 28th, 2015, 9:49 am

keezer wrote:
hopmolester69 wrote:No actually haha, my friend and I don't even claim to be legit brewers or have good beer. We just like to make beer and experiment with formulas and have fun. I understand that being good at brewing has nothing to do with running a business. In fact I'm pretty sure that I'll be hiring a consultant along with people who actually know how to brew properly. I don't have any experience in running a business at all. Isn't that why you hire people that know how? I figure I'd start small, lose a lot of money and either quit or make it, regardless I would have given it a shot. Some people might call it dumb and some people might call it following a passion.

Good luck dude. Like I implied, I didn't mean for the question to be insulting. Was just curious. Brewing passable beer is not hard if that's your goal.

:lol: :lol:

"I don't mean to be insulting, anyone can brew beer that won't make people instantly gag, if that's how low the bar is that we're talking here..."
EricH

Postby keezer » August 28th, 2015, 9:55 am

EricH wrote:
keezer wrote:

:lol: :lol:

"I don't mean to be insulting, anyone can brew beer that won't make people instantly gag, if that's how low the bar is that we're talking here..."

LOL. Try Double Shift's beer yet? I suggest giving them time to get things sorted out.

If someone were asking for people to back a new restaurant, wouldn't it be fair to inquire about who the chef is and if they know how to cook? Fortunately there isn't a brewery on every corner, though, so there's a bit more room for not being a stand-out brewer.
Tim
keezer

Postby dansb » August 28th, 2015, 10:14 am

keezer wrote:
EricH wrote:]
LOL. Try Double Shift's beer yet? I suggest giving them time to get things sorted out.

Time can help things. Big rip was pretty bad when they opened and they have some solid beers now.
Last edited by dansb on August 28th, 2015, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dansb

Postby flip » August 28th, 2015, 10:36 am

Quality of beer has very little to do with keeping a brewery afloat, unfortunately. I can name a couple here in town that do just fine with pretty bad beers. You might think it's because our area is just that desperate for new breweries, but it's not just limited to unsaturated areas like KC. I can name at least 5 in the Denver area. Lots of factors contribute to a brewery's success: management, branding, location, prices, accessibility, etc.

But there is a difference between keeping the lights on, and having a line out the door every day when you open like high quality breweries. I'm not sure what that has to do with a couple homebrewers wanting to open a nanobrewery, but that's where the conversation went so I thought it was an interesting distinction to make.

I've often considered opening a brewery. People in the industry always talk others out of it. Tell you that you won't make money, don't turn your hobby into your job, etc. But none of those typical responses were ever a deterrent. I know I'd still love to do it. The big sticking point always comes back to money. The biggest cost is usually equipment. Then you have to lease a space, get through multiple levels of bureaucratic tape, pay licenses, hop contracts, modify your space to meet building codes (floor drains is always a big one, eye wash stations, lots of other little things). It's just something to think about. If you have the funding to back you up, all of this should be doable. Unlike a lot of other small businesses, breweries are terribly expensive up front to get off the ground.

If you guys are serious, I'd recommend sitting down with an owner who has gone through this very recently and buy them a beer and pick their brain, such as Crane, Torn Label, or Martin City. I'm sure they'd have some good advice on funding and navigating all the laws.
flip

PreviousNext

Return to Homebrewing