Do any local breweries contract brew?

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Re: Do any local breweries contract brew?

Postby schumed » March 7th, 2016, 10:05 am

flip wrote:
schumed wrote:Let's here the project idea?

I've been considering buying a couple 59 gallon wine barrels to put in my basement, and filling them with a basic lambic style wort. Since I can only brew at most 10 gallons at a time, I started wondering if I could contract out that wort production to one of the smaller local breweries. I was talking to a buddy who knows someone in Denver that does that. He's a homebrewer home blender and just contract brews wort from a local brewery that has free time on their system, then he trucks the wort home and fills barrels. I've heard stories of guys in Belgium that do this with some of the local lambic producers as well, and some are even starting to sell and release their bottled blends. It's an interesting niche.

I don't even know if any of our local breweries would do that. Which led me to ask if anyone here knew about any avenues in our local scene. I haven't reached out to any on my own yet, because I'm not very serious about it yet. Just curious.

cool idea.....I'm not sure if anyone of the locals would do that..only one way to find out is to ask...I could see some of the new smaller guys might be interested.

I will tell you if you need help filling up barrels...its very easy to get some help in the KC Homebrew community. I've actually got several projects going on in my basement currently where I had homebrewers help me fill.

60 Gallons of Russian Imperial in a Goose Island BCBS barrel
30 Gallon Lambic - Oak Barrel
30 Gallon Old Ale w/brett - Dark Horse bourbon barrel

Just joined another group that is getting a 60 gallon wine barrel to do a Flanders Project.

I'm always interested in making wort to put into barrels.
schumed

Postby Russ » March 9th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I don't think I heard anything explicitly about this, but I think I remember Cinder Block doing things that make me think they might be open to the idea.... (like they did some contests to do a batch on their pilot system and maybe something BTKC did with them...)
Russ

Postby schumed » March 10th, 2016, 9:55 am

Russ wrote:I don't think I heard anything explicitly about this, but I think I remember Cinder Block doing things that make me think they might be open to the idea.... (like they did some contests to do a batch on their pilot system and maybe something BTKC did with them...)

I know you have a pilot batch brewed up as an option for their event space and yeah they did the thing with BTKC....might ask them too epseically now that their pilot system is 3 BL
schumed

Postby Jake1605 » June 30th, 2016, 6:50 am

bigpete wrote:
EricH wrote:Oh, I wasn't aware of that. So Bob (Robert) isn't actively involved with brewing right now then?

My understanding no, he just handles the distribution side

That's gotta be tough
Jake1605

Previous

Return to Homebrewing