Midwest Supply/Living Social

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Midwest Supply/Living Social

Postby theLC » October 25th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Midwest Supply has a Living Social deal for this kit for $63 (+ $12 shipping): http://www.midwestsupplies.com/beginner-s-brewing-kit.html which they show as normally being $126.80. The weird thing is that when I browse Midwest's starter kits, that one is nowhere to be found. The closest (from what I can tell) is this kit for $100 (+ $16 shipping): http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html.

So Living Social kit:
• $25 Discount Coupon for next purchase
• Homebrew Wallet Bottle Opener
• 6.5 Gallon Fermenter and Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
• Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
• Bottle Brush
• Twin Lever Black Beauty Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Racking Tube with Bucket Clip
• Siphon Tubing

Brewing Starter kit:
• Instructional Homebrewing DVD
• 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
• 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
• Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
• Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
• Bottle Brush
• Carboy Brush
• Black Beauty Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade
• Siphon Tubing
• Shutoff clamp

Any thoughts on that Living Social kit? Anything crucial missing other than a kettle & bottles? It seems like a really good deal but I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about....
theLC

Re: Midwest Supply/Living Social

Postby csbosox » October 25th, 2012, 8:21 pm

It's a good deal. You still need a sanitizer, iodophor or star san, but they are cheap. It is a good idea to get campden tablets, a few will do you, to treat your water for the choloramines that KC treats our water with. There are a couple other things that would be nice, but not necessarily needed. Go for it.
csbosox

Postby pd4ever » January 29th, 2013, 9:44 am

This deal is back at LivingSocial. Same kit as last time but $64 instead of $63. I just purchased it and ordered a kit with the Irish Stout.

If anybody is thinking about buying this and wants to use my referral link its below.
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/5881 ... =102720412
pd4ever

Postby TheDude » January 30th, 2013, 11:28 pm

I just pulled the trigger on this deal as well. I figure it has enough of the basics to get me rolling, and as a bonus my good buddy who brews had already declared next month feBREWary, so looks like I'm diving in headfirst! :mrgreen:

also, i will throw out my referral as well, but please use pd4ever's first.....

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/5881 ... =144032029
TheDude

Postby craftsuds » February 1st, 2013, 2:43 pm

I think you guys will be pretty happy with this kit. It's essentially the same equipment that I started with over two years ago. The only thing I've upgraded is I am now using glass carboys, instead of the fermentation bucket.

Don't forget that you'll need a brew pot, too. The bigger the better. I started out with a 5 gallon pot and upgraded to a 7 1/2 gallon pot less than a year later. The bigger pot will allow you to boil a full 5 gallon extract beer, so you don't have to add water to the fermenter. Also, it will set you up better for a transition to all-grain brewing (not that there's anything wrong with extract beers.)
craftsuds

Postby TheDude » February 7th, 2013, 11:07 pm

My kit came in yesterday.....now I just need to assemble the rest of the equipment I need (boil kettle, burner) and it'll be off to the races.
TheDude

Postby pd4ever » February 8th, 2013, 9:42 am

My friend recommended this cheap 20qt stainless brewpot for $14.99. There is an old time pottery in Independence. Its thin but should get the job done starting out.
http://www.oldtimepottery.com/products/ ... stock-pots
pd4ever

Postby TheDude » February 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

That is a pretty decent price. I'm opting to go ahead and get an eight gallon pot right off the bat however. My buddies who brew all do all-grain batches and I figure that's the path I'll be taking as well....and probably sooner rather than later. With that in mind it makes more sense to me to have a larger kettle now for a few full extract boils , and in the future it can be used as my hot liquor tank as well. Also, need to get on my plumber brother in law to make me an immersion chiller as well.
TheDude

Postby johnf » February 8th, 2013, 1:40 pm

TheDude wrote:That is a pretty decent price. I'm opting to go ahead and get an eight gallon pot right off the bat however. My buddies who brew all do all-grain batches and I figure that's the path I'll be taking as well....and probably sooner rather than later. With that in mind it makes more sense to me to have a larger kettle now for a few full extract boils , and in the future it can be used as my hot liquor tank as well. Also, need to get on my plumber brother in law to make me an immersion chiller as well.

You might want to pick up some foam control drops to make boilovers less likely. They are also nice to prevent blowoffs for fermentation. It's a few bucks for a bottle that will last you many dozens of batches if used in the kettle and fermentor. Also it is simethicone which is the same stuff in gas-x.
johnf

Return to Homebrewing