What are you brewing?

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Re: What are you brewing?

Postby ryancowman » November 28th, 2012, 11:36 am

Just brewed a Honey Porter kit for my birthday. Hope my birthday brew comes out okay in a couple months!
ryancowman

Postby johnf » November 28th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I made a beer roughly inspired by Kiwanda Cream Ale. It was about 95% Rahr Two Row, 5% Biscuit and a lot of Crystal hops added after the boil and left in the hot wort for 30 minutes (aka whirlpool addition). No other hops. The bitterness is exactly what I was shooting for (Kiwanda Cream Ale is 18 IBU I believe, this is pretty similar in balance).
johnf

Postby beastiefan » November 28th, 2012, 3:55 pm

jez John I needed to check up what beer you were talking about. you know not all of us lived in the PNW. Is Pelican as good as Little Kings?
lips of faith is where great beers go to die
I am prefacing this by saying I am really not trying to be a downer.
beastiefan

Postby johnf » November 28th, 2012, 4:25 pm

beastiefan wrote:jez John I needed to check up what beer you were talking about. you know not all of us lived in the PNW. Is Pelican as good as Little Kings?

:roll:

If I was aware of a beer available locally that was made similarly (no hops prior to the end of the boil) I would have offered that as a comparison.

Shouldn't you be in line for Zwanze day?
johnf

Postby beastiefan » November 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm

A brewpub back in NY made a beer that was dry hopped only, no other hops. It was interesting but I cannot say that I prefer it that way. What is the hop character like in the Pelican Cream Ale?
lips of faith is where great beers go to die
I am prefacing this by saying I am really not trying to be a downer.
beastiefan

Postby johnf » November 28th, 2012, 4:42 pm

beastiefan wrote:A brewpub back in NY made a beer that was dry hopped only, no other hops. It was interesting but I cannot say that I prefer it that way. What is the hop character like in the Pelican Cream Ale?

It's all Mt. Hood hops, so floral/spicy. I find the Crystal hops similar except a little lemony, which I like. The hops are added when the wort is still hot so there is some isomerization. Like I said, I think it is 18 ibu.
johnf

Postby csbosox » November 28th, 2012, 9:50 pm

As long as the beer dried out sufficiently, and with JohnF as the brewer, I would imagine it did, it sounds like a great beer.
csbosox

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » December 25th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Just drank the 1st bottle of my 1st home brew! It's a Nut Brown style Ale kit.

Fermented for 18 days, and bottle conditioned for 2 weeks.

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.9%
IBU: 22

Nottingham dry brewing yeast

UK Fuggle Pellet Hops:
1.5oz Bittering
0.5oz Finishing (added with 5min left in the 60min boil)

I must say for my 1st experience at home brewing, I really enjoyed it. Talk about a labor of love by the time I capped 46 bottles.

It turned out well, I think. Carbonation/head is good, and yeah, it has a rich brown, nutty, slightly sweet, with good malt, taste to it. I'm curious what others will think, so my father and brother in law are next on Friday...
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby flip » December 26th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Cheers, JRBoulevard_KC! Glad it turned out good. Welcome to the hobby.

I just bottled 52 bottles of my oatmeal stout tonight. The taste I took from my gravity reading was excellent. Roasty, chocolatey, and even the toasted oats flavors came through. Really excited for this one to finish carbonating as I think I may have a winner on my hands. It's uplifting because I royally screwed up my mash temps and it fluctuated all over the place, so I wasn't really sure how it would turn out. Initial taste is certainly positive so far.

I'm on the computer planning out a rye IPA recipe for this weekend. I picked up a vial of WLP060 American ale blend because I'm trying to experiment outside of the usual WLP001/Wyeast 1056 for clean ale yeasts. I'm curious how the sulfury lager yeast that is part of the blend will interact with the spicey rye and chinook hops. I think it could be promising.
flip

Previous

Return to Homebrewing