Boulevard Grainstorm carbonation

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Boulevard Grainstorm carbonation

Postby landon » February 14th, 2013, 9:19 am

Just wondering how a beer like Grainstorm can be carbonated to 3.3 vol and not affect mouthfeel or get harsh? I force carb and if I start getting over 2.5 vol my IPAs get thin and take on a carbonic harshness. Is this something they compensate for during recipe development?
landon

Re: Boulevard Grainstorm carbonation

Postby johnf » February 14th, 2013, 9:38 am

landon wrote:Just wondering how a beer like Grainstorm can be carbonated to 3.3 vol and not affect mouthfeel or get harsh? I force carb and if I start getting over 2.5 vol my IPAs get thin and take on a carbonic harshness. Is this something they compensate for during recipe development?

They put the exact same beer in kegs at 2.4 vol. They do that with every Smokestack beer.
johnf

Postby JeremyDanner » February 14th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Beers that are bottle conditioned are treated differently when dry hopping as compared to tanks that are scheduled to be kegged. We've found that the bottle conditioning actually scrubs some hop aroma and flavor so we adjust the dry hopping rates to account for that. Beers that are headed to bottles are primed with dextrose the day of filtration while kegs, obviously, are not.
Ambassador Brewer, Boulevard Brewing Co.
Twitter: @Jeremy_Danner
JeremyDanner

Postby keezer » February 18th, 2013, 3:08 pm

JeremyDanner wrote:Beers that are bottle conditioned are treated differently when dry hopping as compared to tanks that are scheduled to be kegged. We've found that the bottle conditioning actually scrubs some hop aroma and flavor so we adjust the dry hopping rates to account for that.

Jeremy - do you find this holds true for both the capped and corked products? I understand that oxygen absorbing caps actually absorb some of the hop aroma along with the oxygen.
keezer

Postby JeremyDanner » March 19th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Sorry, just saw your response. We haven't noticed a difference between corked or crowned beers that are bc'd, just a difference between bc'd and non bc'd beers.
Ambassador Brewer, Boulevard Brewing Co.
Twitter: @Jeremy_Danner
JeremyDanner

Return to Homebrewing