So, who's got some homebrew

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Re: So, who's got some homebrew

Postby EricH » February 25th, 2012, 10:53 pm

No, I never did. I remember you saying that you brewed one, which surprised me, but I didn't get to try any of it.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby johnf » February 26th, 2012, 9:51 am

Eugene's Gose is the closest I have ever had to the Dollnitzer Ritterguts Gose*, which I had fresh in Leipzig about 4 months before judging Eugene's at the 2011 KCBM comp. I didn't fill out a scoresheet on it, only had it in mini-bos, but I argued for it to get first place on the basis of how much closer it was than any US (home or craft brewed) example I had tried.

* The guy who owns Ohne Bedenken Goseschenken was alive and drinking before Gose went extinct and personally revived it by opening a bar and contracting with breweries to brew it. Stan Hieronymus calls him the Gose missing link. According to him the Dollnitzer Ritterguts is the closest to pre-extinction Gose.
johnf

Postby beastiefan » February 26th, 2012, 1:42 pm

EricH wrote:No, I never did. I remember you saying that you brewed one, which surprised me, but I didn't get to try any of it.

I will make sure to get you a bottle.

I am going to make a slightly smoked version of the Gose as my next beer. Its kind of a Gose and Grodziskie hybrid.
lips of faith is where great beers go to die
I am prefacing this by saying I am really not trying to be a downer.
beastiefan

Postby EricH » February 26th, 2012, 3:22 pm

beastiefan wrote:I will make sure to get you a bottle.

Sweet, thanks!

johnf wrote:* The guy who owns Ohne Bedenken Goseschenken was alive and drinking before Gose went extinct and personally revived it by opening a bar and contracting with breweries to brew it. Stan Hieronymus calls him the Gose missing link. According to him the Dollnitzer Ritterguts is the closest to pre-extinction Gose.

Very interesting stuff. I know basically nothing about the style, historically speaking.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby johnf » February 26th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Stan's book "Brewing with Wheat" has some really good info on the rare German/Polish wheat beer styles (gose, berliner weiss, grodziske, lichtenheiner). Stan's books get pigeon hold as "homebrewing books" but they are really more descriptive about the history and production methods and would be interesting to beer geeks who do not brew.

I have most of his books (I thought I had them all but apparently he wrote a brewpub recipe book I don't have) and am willing to loan them out.

Brewing with Wheat also has some cool Boulevard info (mostly Harvest Dance and Unfiltered Wheat).
johnf

Previous

Return to Homebrewing