All grain set up

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

All grain set up

Postby Urge13 » February 26th, 2012, 1:50 pm

So I want to set up to brew all grain with a cooler as a mash tun. I have a square igloo cooler is this ok to use with a valve connected to it? Or should I use the more normal "water cooler" that seems to have better false bottoms made for it? I would rather work with what I have but would like to know what te pros think.
Urge13

Re: All grain set up

Postby johnf » February 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm

If you are going to fly sparge, I would go round with false bottom. If you are going to batch sparge ( geometry not important) go rectangular (cheaper) with a hose braid.
johnf

Postby dj in kc » February 26th, 2012, 6:25 pm

If it is a flat bottom cube (no hump for wheels/axle) I would consider a manifold. You can fly or batch sparge with it. John Palmer's How to Brew has a free online version and has a nice walk through on proper design. I use one in a 70 qt rectangular cooler.
dj in kc

Postby bythepint » February 27th, 2012, 1:17 pm

I started all-grain with a rectangular Coleman mash tun and it worked perfectly fine. I didn't have a pump at the time so I didn't even consider the logistics of fly sparging since batch worked fine for me. If you've already got the rectangular cooler, I'd say go ahead and use it... it'll make a fine first mash tun and after you've run some batches through it you'll know what (if anything) to change for Mash Tun 2.0
bythepint

Postby Urge13 » May 7th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Anyone have any picks of their manifolds?
Urge13

Postby FatCatKC » June 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

I'll be posting an overview of my Mash Tun setup on my blog shortly. It will have plenty of pictures. Fatcatkc.blogspot.com
FatCatKC

Return to Homebrewing