Single Hop Series - Anyone Want to Help?

Anything and everything regarding homebrewing.

Single Hop Series - Anyone Want to Help?

Postby keezer » June 16th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I decided a few weeks ago to embark on a single hop series to explore the nuances of some hops that I have a lot of or that I just want to observe flying solo. The problem is that I don't have enough time to brew all of them myself. Anyone else want to get in on the fun and brew some single-hop batches along with mine, then do a side-by-side tasting in mid-late August?

The idea is to brew the same recipe (all-grain) for each batch, with the exception of the hop variety and the bittering charge, which changes to hit the target of ~37 IBUs. I'm aiming for a pretty standard APA with OG of 1.055.

My Centennial and Crystal batches are bubbling away now. A friend is going to brew one with Perle. I'll be brewing Nugget, Summit and Columbus next. Anyone want to brew the Calypso, Willamette, Northern Brewer and Belma batches? I can supply the yeast and most (if not all) of the hops, assuming a five gallon batch or smaller. I'm brewing 2.5 gallon batches for this project. If you have a different hop in mind, I may be able to supply the yeast depending on what I have left.

The catch: everyone uses the same recipe and brings at least a six pack to the tasting at a date TBD.
keezer

Re: Single Hop Series - Anyone Want to Help?

Postby johnf » June 16th, 2013, 6:27 pm

The BJCP gives $500 grants for stuff like this. You'll probably have to organize it somewhat and serve the beers at a homebrew club meeting or something.

I've tasted beers twice from this same experiment. It is useful and informative but there are always big differences in the base beer so it never really seems like it is the same beer other than the hop. Some of the beers will be technically flawed which isn't really giving the hop a fair presentation.

One think that would be an improvement is if someone could talk a commercial brewery into brewing some wort with only a bittering addition and then the batches could be separately dry hopped with the various hops.
johnf

Re: Single Hop Series - Anyone Want to Help?

Postby keezer » June 16th, 2013, 7:20 pm

johnf wrote:The BJCP gives $500 grants for stuff like this. You'll probably have to organize it somewhat and serve the beers at a homebrew club meeting or something.

I've tasted beers twice from this same experiment. It is useful and informative but there are always big differences in the base beer so it never really seems like it is the same beer other than the hop. Some of the beers will be technically flawed which isn't really giving the hop a fair presentation.

One think that would be an improvement is if someone could talk a commercial brewery into brewing some wort with only a bittering addition and then the batches could be separately dry hopped with the various hops.

Interesting. I didn't know about the grant. I'm not interested in doing anything that formal, requiring that level of coordination. The main reason I can do this is that I have a lot of hops left that I will never use up before the next harvest if I don't do something like this. I can give the yeast away because I've grown it from a fresh pack of 1272.

I completely agree regarding the likelihood of inconsistency. There is also the problem that observations from this experiment will be of limited usefulness, because hops can seem to perform differently when used in different recipes. But, as you said, should still be informative. Hopefully the batches I brew should be similar enough, since I will be using the same process for each batch. Hopefully.

Too bad there isn't a homebrew club that's reasonable drive from Olathe. That would be the perfect forum to do something like this. I'm guessing this is how you've been able to taste such beers in the past.
keezer

Return to Homebrewing