How To Drink Beer All Night Without Getting Drunk

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

How To Drink Beer All Night Without Getting Drunk

Postby scotter » April 25th, 2014, 9:48 am

I read this article the other day and Sam Koch claims he eats active yeast to prevent himself from getting sloppy after a few beers. Anyone try this?
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-m ... c=soc_twtr

I'm a little weary about the side-effects of consuming a bunch of active yeast.
scotter

Re: How To Drink Beer All Night Without Getting Drunk

Postby johnf » April 25th, 2014, 10:17 am

Doesn't make much sense scientifically.

The alcohol dehydrogenase in yeast is different than that in humans. Moreover the article is flat out wrong about what alcohol dehydrogenase does, it reduces alcohols to their respective aldehydes . For ethanol that is acetaldhyde which is actually what causes hangovers. More alcohol dehydrogenase without a corresponding increase in aldehyde dehydrogenase would be expected to cause more acetaldehyde to build up and make hangovers worse. That is if yeast based alcohol dehydrogenase is active in humans and well outside of it's pH optima in the stomach.

There is actually a drug for alcoholism that works the other way but still achieves the effect of more rapid ethanol reduction compared to acetaldehyde reduction. It suppresses acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and causes really horrible hangovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram

So an enzyme based hangover remedy would either be exogenous aldehyde dehyrogenase (again assuming it could survive or be effective in the stomach) or a drug that increases endogenous aldehydge dehyrogenase or makes it more effective.

So this is pretty much BS but I personally suspect Jim Koch was messing with this guy and doesn't actually believe in it. Based on my experience drinking cloudy homebrew, convincing someone to eat 5 teaspoons of dried yeast is a pretty damn good prank.

People in the alcohol industry are good at managing their intake and appearing lucid when drunk. Combined with the fact that they are mostly talking to drunk people this is why people don't perceive them as being drunk, not because of one weird trick that bloody mary mix manufacturers hate.
johnf

Postby scotter » April 25th, 2014, 1:19 pm

johnf wrote:Doesn't make much sense scientifically.

The alcohol dehydrogenase in yeast is different than that in humans. Moreover the article is flat out wrong about what alcohol dehydrogenase does, it reduces alcohols to their respective aldehydes . For ethanol that is acetaldhyde which is actually what causes hangovers. More alcohol dehydrogenase without a corresponding increase in aldehyde dehydrogenase would be expected to cause more acetaldehyde to build up and make hangovers worse. That is if yeast based alcohol dehydrogenase is active in humans and well outside of it's pH optima in the stomach.

There is actually a drug for alcoholism that works the other way but still achieves the effect of more rapid ethanol reduction compared to acetaldehyde reduction. It suppresses acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and causes really horrible hangovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram

So an enzyme based hangover remedy would either be exogenous aldehyde dehyrogenase (again assuming it could survive or be effective in the stomach) or a drug that increases endogenous aldehydge dehyrogenase or makes it more effective.

So this is pretty much BS but I personally suspect Jim Koch was messing with this guy and doesn't actually believe in it. Based on my experience drinking cloudy homebrew, convincing someone to eat 5 teaspoons of dried yeast is a pretty damn good prank.

People in the alcohol industry are good at managing their intake and appearing lucid when drunk. Combined with the fact that they are mostly talking to drunk people this is why people don't perceive them as being drunk, not because of one weird trick that bloody mary mix manufacturers hate.

Thank you for your response! I'm really glad I asked this on here because I was half tempted to try it. Aside from it not working I imagine I wouldn't be feeling super great after it either.
scotter

Postby luke646 » April 25th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Do it anyway and report back, Scott! :)
luke646

Postby thomas15 » April 26th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I've heard people say that drinking too much of the yeast at the end of a home brew or a beer with sediment over the course of a night will give you the poops.

Is Jim Koch trying to give America mud butt?
Torn Label Brewing Company
thomas15

Postby hwwty4 » April 26th, 2014, 5:39 pm

I have a vegitarian friend who sprinkles brewers yeast as a nutritional supplement on a lot of his food. I tried it and it made me fart for days.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby scotter » April 29th, 2014, 1:11 pm

luke646 wrote:Do it anyway and report back, Scott! :)

This guy tried it out :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/2 ... east_with/
scotter

Postby johnf » April 29th, 2014, 3:19 pm

scotter wrote:
luke646 wrote:Do it anyway and report back, Scott! :)

This guy tried it out :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/2 ... east_with/

A non-blinded experiment with no control and with a drunk person make subjective measurements of drunkenness...

Even without the fact that the guy was drunk when he was trying to tell how drunk he was, the existence of a robust market for homeopathic products suggests that people will observe what they went in expecting to observe on these kinds of experiments.

Hopefully this thing keeps getting passed around and they take it up on Mythbusters.
johnf

Return to Off-Topic