Google Fiber

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Google Fiber

Postby keezer » November 12th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Do you have it yet? What do you think?
keezer

Re: Google Fiber

Postby patrick » November 12th, 2014, 7:50 pm

I have just the super-mega-ultra-fast intertubes, and I love it.
patrick

Postby localbrewer » November 12th, 2014, 7:51 pm

I am signed up for lenexa so I am hoping to get it soon
localbrewer

Postby hwwty4 » November 12th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I've had it for a year now but just the 5mb service. I think its amazing.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby keezer » November 12th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Thanks guys. They're laying the backbone in Olathe and hopefully will be doing sign-ups soon. If anyone has the TV, I'm curious about the quality and how well the DVR works.
keezer

Postby ChuckD » November 13th, 2014, 12:40 am

So everyone that went through round 1 of johnson country sign ups now have to wait till Summer of 2015 before construction starts for Google Fiber.

Hello,

Congratulations! Hocker Grove fiberhood met its sign-up goal and has qualified for Google Fiber. We’re busy getting ready to bring you Fiber and we’ll reach out to you with more information as we get closer to your installation date. Our goal is to begin installations in your area in the summer of 2015, however individual installation timelines may vary.

As you may have heard, Google Fiber isn’t your typical Internet service and getting it isn’t either. We recommend that you keep your existing service provider until you have Google Fiber installed in your home, as we occasionally run in to unique construction challenges that may prevent us from bringing Fiber to some locations.

If you have any questions, feel free to visit fiber.google.com/support.

The Google Fiber team

Thanks,
DBAGS!
ChuckD

Postby theisti » November 14th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Leawood killed it dead, so no Google Fiber for me.
theisti

Postby EricH » November 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm

theisti wrote:Leawood killed it dead, so no Google Fiber for me.

After which, AT&T immediately stepped up and said "we'll get ya, Leawood!"

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... ernet.html

But then, being the greedy megacorp that it is, said 2 days ago that it's not rolling out any gigabit networks until the issue of network neutrality is settled...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472059,00.asp
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby scotter » November 14th, 2014, 3:34 pm

EricH wrote:
theisti wrote:Leawood killed it dead, so no Google Fiber for me.

After which, AT&T immediately stepped up and said "we'll get ya, Leawood!"

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... ernet.html

But then, being the greedy megacorp that it is, said 2 days ago that it's not rolling out any gigabit networks until the issue of network neutrality is settled...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472059,00.asp

My assumption is they were falling behind on their roll-out and are using this as an opportunity to play politics rather than admit they're screwing up. Either way, they're making their stance on the issue quite clear. I shouldn't be surprised, they're sister companies to Verizon (ma bell - http://i.imgur.com/kmeuf.jpg) after all.
scotter

Postby janda » November 14th, 2014, 8:32 pm

ChuckD wrote:So everyone that went through round 1 of johnson country sign ups now have to wait till Summer of 2015 before construction starts for Google Fiber.

Hello,

Congratulations! Hocker Grove fiberhood met its sign-up goal and has qualified for Google Fiber. We’re busy getting ready to bring you Fiber and we’ll reach out to you with more information as we get closer to your installation date. Our goal is to begin installations in your area in the summer of 2015, however individual installation timelines may vary.

As you may have heard, Google Fiber isn’t your typical Internet service and getting it isn’t either. We recommend that you keep your existing service provider until you have Google Fiber installed in your home, as we occasionally run in to unique construction challenges that may prevent us from bringing Fiber to some locations.

If you have any questions, feel free to visit fiber.google.com/support.

The Google Fiber team

Thanks,
DBAGS!

They sent the same note out to people in the Northland as well, and a few people I know were connected today. However, those signups ended about 5 months before ours did, so another 5 months seems relatively on track.
janda

Return to Off-Topic