Bourbon Thread

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Re: Bourbon Thread

Postby EricH » September 10th, 2017, 7:32 pm

hopmolester69 wrote:I'm going to be that guy....

Anyone got any idea how to score a pappy this year? I have been trying for a couple years, no dice! Thanks people

Looking into this, I had no idea it regularly sells for $2400/bottle.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... -expensive
They say there are strangers who threaten us
Our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves
EricH

Postby hopmolester69 » September 12th, 2017, 8:03 am

EricH wrote:
hopmolester69 wrote:I'm going to be that guy....

Anyone got any idea how to score a pappy this year? I have been trying for a couple years, no dice! Thanks people

Looking into this, I had no idea it regularly sells for $2400/bottle.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... -expensive

on the secondary... but retail stores sell the 10yr for like 75$ and the 20yr for 299$ ... i believe, i haven't actually gotten a bottle yet
hopmolester69

Postby phisherman_77 » September 12th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Old Rip 10 - $50-60
Lot B - $60-80
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye - $80-100
Pappy 15 - $100-120
Pappy 20 - $150-175
Pappy 23 - $250-300

These are ballpark for retail stores that don't mark up Van Winkle bottles past their normal margins. The prices likely went up again this year, so take that into account also.
phisherman_77

Postby hopmolester69 » September 12th, 2017, 9:26 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:Old Rip 10 - $50-60
Lot B - $60-80
Pappy 15 - $100-120
Pappy 20 - $150-175
Pappy 23 - $250-300

These are ballpark for retail stores that don't mark up Van Winkle bottles past their normal margins. The prices likely went up again this year, so take that into account also.

thanks!! this helps
hopmolester69

Postby bigpete » September 13th, 2017, 2:52 am

hopmolester69 wrote:
phisherman_77 wrote:Old Rip 10 - $50-60
Lot B - $60-80
Pappy 15 - $100-120
Pappy 20 - $150-175
Pappy 23 - $250-300

thanks!! this helps

I'd add a little bit to all retail suggestions. Kings liquor sold a 23yr for over $1000 and I have heard Mikes getting over $150 for a suggested retail of $70 for a similar type bourbon. Big Corporate/grocery stores will probably be most reasonable than most true small business style liquor stores on these products. I hate to say it unless you are a regular, really regular don't expect normal retail price anywhere
bigpete

Postby KCcyclone01 » September 13th, 2017, 10:00 am

Pete or any of you guys see stores doing a gentlemen's agreement with Pappy? Where the liquor store manager breaks the bottle seal at the time of sale, to hinder the resale values. Heard this done at a few places, personally, I like the idea. This is regardless of price. Any views on it or seen similar things done?

Never been able to track any bottles down, but then again haven't looked that hard. Saw some 12 yr going for $1000 at a Colorado Liquor store.
-Andrew
KCcyclone01

Postby bigpete » September 13th, 2017, 11:13 am

KCcyclone01 wrote:Pete or any of you guys see stores doing a gentlemen's agreement with Pappy? Where the liquor store manager breaks the bottle seal at the time of sale, to hinder the resale values. Heard this done at a few places, personally, I like the idea. This is regardless of price. Any views on it or seen similar things done?

Never been able to track any bottles down, but then again haven't looked that hard. Saw some 12 yr going for $1000 at a Colorado Liquor store.

It's completely illegal for an open bottle to leave a store, it happens tho, old lady with a bottle of wine, guys with broken arm/hand, I would never do it with a high end product tho. If you resale and I find out I will offer the product to another person next time, it's your bottle do what you like, but I know a few people on this forum that will never get any limited bourbon from my store ever again.
bigpete

Postby KCcyclone01 » September 13th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Didn't know that. That's fair. Illegal to leave the store open, liability on the liquor store. check. Illegal for an individual to resell at a higher margin, liability on the purchaser. check. Gotta be tough to make sure you're selling to people who will enjoy it. Considering you probably have 1000+ customers interested in maybe just a couple bottles total. Doesn't sound like fun.
-Andrew
KCcyclone01

Postby hopmolester69 » September 16th, 2017, 11:45 pm

ON A SIDE NOTE....

I'm sipping on a pour of willet right now and it is so good. Tastes like im drinking sweet honey, just incredible.
hopmolester69

Postby JSchock7 » September 18th, 2017, 8:29 am

bigpete wrote:
KCcyclone01 wrote:Pete or any of you guys see stores doing a gentlemen's agreement with Pappy? Where the liquor store manager breaks the bottle seal at the time of sale, to hinder the resale values. Heard this done at a few places, personally, I like the idea. This is regardless of price. Any views on it or seen similar things done?

It's completely illegal for an open bottle to leave a store, it happens tho, old lady with a bottle of wine, guys with broken arm/hand, I would never do it with a high end product tho. If you resale and I find out I will offer the product to another person next time, it's your bottle do what you like, but I know a few people on this forum that will never get any limited bourbon from my store ever again.

Same. Have had a couple regulars who were also big bourbon people. Sold them some of the limited stuff such as Pappy, Antique, etc. and then get screenshots of them up selling on the secondary market.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP
JSchock7

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic