Bourbon Thread

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Re: Bourbon Thread

Postby EricH » December 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Bill, it sounds like you have mostly sampled Islay single malts? That is the variety with the peaty, briney iodine character that I fully admit is not for everyone. To put it in beer terms, I put those in the same category as smoked beers. Most people don't like them, at least not right off the bat.

The single malts that I enjoy the most aren't from that area and are therefore quite different: I find Speyside and Highland single malts are far less challenging and quite pleasant. Some examples of each that I have really liked:

Speyside:
The Balvenie
Dalwhinnie (The 15 Year is comparatively affordable and very nice - here are some reviews by the experts - http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/d ... y7736.html)
Glenfiddich (especially the Solera Reserve)

Highland:
The Dalmore
The Macallan (the 18 Year is possibly my favorite single malt ever, but I just did a quick price check, and it is up to over $200/bottle. Ouch.)
Glenmorangie (I have some Quinta Ruban that is finished in Port casks, and it is fantastic)
We've been too long American dreaming
I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn, somnambulistic, maniacal
In the dark
EricH

Postby hwwty4 » December 19th, 2015, 3:28 pm

EricH wrote:Bill, it sounds like you have mostly sampled Islay single malts? That is the variety with the peaty, briney iodine character that I fully admit is not for everyone. To put it in beer terms, I put those in the same category as smoked beers. Most people don't like them, at least not right off the bat.

The single malts that I enjoy the most aren't from that area and are therefore quite different: I find Speyside and Highland single malts are far less challenging and quite pleasant. Some examples of each that I have really liked:

Speyside:
The Balvenie
Dalwhinnie (The 15 Year is comparatively affordable and very nice - here are some reviews by the experts - http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/d ... y7736.html)
Glenfiddich (especially the Solera Reserve)

Highland:
The Dalmore
The Macallan (the 18 Year is possibly my favorite single malt ever, but I just did a quick price check, and it is up to over $200/bottle. Ouch.)
Glenmorangie (I have some Quinta Ruban that is finished in Port casks, and it is fantastic)

I've tried across the spectrum. I actually keep a bottle of Balvinie Double Wood and Mccallan 12 at my house for folks who are scotch drinkers. There are some speysides that I can drink but I just find that medicinal flavor prevalent in most. In not talking Laphroaig 10 medicinal but still there.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby mrblack08 » January 4th, 2016, 10:17 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... llery.html

Tom's Town is opening on the 6th -- looks like they're currently making their own Vodak & Gin, but bottling a 10-year old bourbon. Anyone know where they're sourcing it from? I would assume MGP/LDI in Indiana, but didn't know if anyone knew specifics about the mash bill.
The only people jealous of my cellar are teenagers.
mrblack08

Postby hwwty4 » January 5th, 2016, 6:58 pm

mrblack08 wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/03/04/toms-town-distillery.html

Tom's Town is opening on the 6th -- looks like they're currently making their own Vodak & Gin, but bottling a 10-year old bourbon. Anyone know where they're sourcing it from? I would assume MGP/LDI in Indiana, but didn't know if anyone knew specifics about the mash bill.

I just tried to look that up. I would bet it's a MGP product, which I'm fine with. Smooth Ambler is currently on of my favorites and it's a MGP. IN another article I read it stated their second offering was going to be a 5 year finished in Port barrels. Pretty stoked to give that a whirl.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby hopmolester69 » January 22nd, 2016, 6:53 pm

ISO: EC 12yr... with the forward facing 12yr mark. Anyone know of someone who still has one?
hopmolester69

Postby hwwty4 » January 23rd, 2016, 11:08 am

hopmolester69 wrote:ISO: EC 12yr... with the forward facing 12yr mark. Anyone know of someone who still has one?

You can still find the Small Batch with the age statement on the back on shelfs but the EC with the age statement on the front hasnt been on the shelf for a bit.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby JSchock7 » January 26th, 2016, 8:11 pm

We got small shipments of Blantons, Weller 107 and regular Buffalo Trace today at Lukas OP if anyone is interested. Not sure how long it will last but there was still some of each when I left at 5.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP
JSchock7

Postby mhump » January 29th, 2016, 1:52 pm

hopmolester69 wrote:ISO: EC 12yr... with the forward facing 12yr mark. Anyone know of someone who still has one?

Just left Gomer's in Kansas and saw 1.75's with this label. The 750's are the newer label with age statement on back.
mhump

Postby JSchock7 » February 29th, 2016, 9:17 am

We got some Leopold Brothers Small Batch bourbon in at Lukas OP. First time this has been made available outside of Colorado if I'm not mistaken.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP
JSchock7

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » February 29th, 2016, 3:37 pm

JSchock7 wrote:We got some Leopold Brothers Small Batch bourbon in at Lukas OP. First time this has been made available outside of Colorado if I'm not mistaken.

I know this brand has Crooked Staves stamp of approval!
JRBoulevard_KC

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic