Bourbon Thread

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.
phisherman_77

Re: Bourbon Thread

Post by phisherman_77 » September 22nd, 2015, 11:02 am

Weller 12 is a casualty of the current Bourbon bubble.

It's partially a product also of the craze for anything Pappy-related. It's long been passed around (whether right or wrong), that Weller 12 is chosen from the same stock that Pappy Lot B comes from. Couple that information with the current frenzy over anything that's related to Pappy Van Winkle or Stitzl Weller, and you've got a recipe for shortages.

Consider yourself lucky that Weller 12 is all over and grab what you can. The second a flipper finds out that it's plentiful somewhere, it will get cleaned out quickly. I have seen online vendors selling 750s of Weller 12 for upwards of $75-80. Just crazy prices.

sweeto

Post by sweeto » September 22nd, 2015, 12:13 pm

phisherman_77 wrote:Weller 12 is a casualty of the current Bourbon bubble.

It's partially a product also of the craze for anything Pappy-related. It's long been passed around (whether right or wrong), that Weller 12 is chosen from the same stock that Pappy Lot B comes from. Couple that information with the current frenzy over anything that's related to Pappy Van Winkle or Stitzl Weller, and you've got a recipe for shortages.

Consider yourself lucky that Weller 12 is all over and grab what you can. The second a flipper finds out that it's plentiful somewhere, it will get cleaned out quickly. I have seen online vendors selling 750s of Weller 12 for upwards of $75-80. Just crazy prices.
Thanks for the info. I was aware they were both Buffalo Trace brands and wheated bourbons, but I didn't realize that about the Lot B stuff. I was fortunate enough to randomly walk into a liquor store here in town last year around Thanksgiving when the Pappy stuff was coming in and got a bottle of Van Winkle 10-year and while it was very good, it's tough to live up to expectations set as a result of the shortages (I'm probably not going out of my way to ever try the 23-year). But I will definitely be picking one up more Weller 12 when I'm in OK next month. :yes:

Completely random FWIW, Hy-Vee on State Line has Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey for $100ish. That's way out of my price range, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried it. I enjoyed Green Spot when I last tried it, though would've liked to try it side by side with Redbreast.

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » September 22nd, 2015, 7:16 pm

Yellow Dot is around at quite a few places. I know Mikes and Berbiglia both have it (for cheaper I think). Honestly for that price I would rather grab 2 bottles of Knappogue Castle 12.
WALDO

bigpete

Post by bigpete » September 22nd, 2015, 7:58 pm

hwwty4 wrote:Yellow Dot is around at quite a few places. I know Mikes and Berbiglia both have it (for cheaper I think). Honestly for that price I would rather grab 2 bottles of Knappogue Castle 12.
Probably getting it mixed up eith green spot which is $55

sweeto

Post by sweeto » September 23rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

bigpete wrote:
hwwty4 wrote:Yellow Dot is around at quite a few places. I know Mikes and Berbiglia both have it (for cheaper I think). Honestly for that price I would rather grab 2 bottles of Knappogue Castle 12.
Yeah sorry I worded that poorly. I've had Green Spot, which is good and around $55 bottle. Not sure if it's worth it, and would be interested taste it side by side with Redbreast (from the same parent company). I hadn't tried Yellow Spot, since it's around double the price of Green Spot and I'm guessing it may be very good but not worth the price. I haven't seen it around many places, or at least in every place that carry Green Spot.

bigpete

Post by bigpete » September 23rd, 2015, 3:24 pm

sweeto wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Yeah sorry I worded that poorly. I've had Green Spot, which is good and around $55 bottle. Not sure if it's worth it, and would be interested taste it side by side with Redbreast (from the same parent company). I hadn't tried Yellow Spot, since it's around double the price of Green Spot and I'm guessing it may be very good but not worth the price. I haven't seen it around many places, or at least in every place that carry Green Spot.
The people that buy yellow spot usually come back for a second bottle saying its the best irish whiskey they have ever had. I hate irish whiskey tho and have got away from the whiskey fad until prices drop to semi reasonable prices

sweeto

Post by sweeto » September 24th, 2015, 9:15 am

Yeah sorry I worded that poorly. I've had Green Spot, which is good and around $55 bottle. Not sure if it's worth it, and would be interested taste it side by side with Redbreast (from the same parent company). I hadn't tried Yellow Spot, since it's around double the price of Green Spot and I'm guessing it may be very good but not worth the price. I haven't seen it around many places, or at least in every place that carry Green Spot.[/quote]

The people that buy yellow spot usually come back for a second bottle saying its the best irish whiskey they have ever had. I hate irish whiskey tho and have got away from the whiskey fad until prices drop to semi reasonable prices[/quote]

Interesting...yeah I'm with you but same with beer I can't convince myself to boycott it altogether...unfortunately that typically equates to me drinking cheaper whiskey...until my wife complains about the hair on my back... :lol:

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » September 24th, 2015, 7:14 pm

sweeto wrote:Yeah sorry I worded that poorly. I've had Green Spot, which is good and around $55 bottle. Not sure if it's worth it, and would be interested taste it side by side with Redbreast (from the same parent company). I hadn't tried Yellow Spot, since it's around double the price of Green Spot and I'm guessing it may be very good but not worth the price. I haven't seen it around many places, or at least in every place that carry Green Spot.
The people that buy yellow spot usually come back for a second bottle saying its the best irish whiskey they have ever had. I hate irish whiskey tho and have got away from the whiskey fad until prices drop to semi reasonable prices[/quote]

Interesting...yeah I'm with you but same with beer I can't convince myself to boycott it altogether...unfortunately that typically equates to me drinking cheaper whiskey...until my wife complains about the hair on my back... :lol:[/quote]

Nope, I meant Yellow Dot. There are, as of last week, 2 or 3 places I know that had it. Don't get me wrong, but for the 100 bucks it cost to grab a bottle of YD, I would prefer to have two bottles of the Knappogue Castle 12.
WALDO

hwwty4

Post by hwwty4 » September 25th, 2015, 3:03 pm

There are 2 bottles of EC barrel proof on the on the shelf at hyvee state line.
WALDO

bkoerper

Post by bkoerper » September 25th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Lots of Weller Antique (107) at MDL as of Wednesday, but a bunch of people on the CBKC Facebook group have taken notice!