Fantasy Football

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Fantasy Football

Postby johnf » August 21st, 2012, 11:07 pm

So I'm not much of a football fan but I joined a league at work to be social. I am pretty much prepared to kiss my entry fee goodbye but I don't want to be last. I know basically how it works and that we have one feature that isn't apparently usual, point per reception (which in practice I guess means that running backs who receive are pretty valuable).

Any advice? The draft is in 9 days. Is there a good source of like, draft these players online I can follow? Any FFL pros who want to come make my picks next Thursday?
johnf

Re: Fantasy Football

Postby beastiefan » August 22nd, 2012, 8:52 am

make sure to draft a kicker first
lips of faith is where great beers go to die
I am prefacing this by saying I am really not trying to be a downer.
beastiefan

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » August 22nd, 2012, 11:19 am

Make sure to get all the ESPN sports center tips...it helps at least. I've always been a huge sports fan but have hardly ever done anything with the fantasy leagues for some reason.
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby beer4bill » August 22nd, 2012, 12:48 pm

Pay attention to the who is unsigned, possibly thinking or was just injured. No like to take flack for drafting a player that will not play for first few weeks of the seasons.

It's been a while, but most sites that offer FF (ESNP, Yahoo, etc), also have stats from previous years and top picks for this year you can use to help plan your draft.

Finally, I've had my most success when I had a plan for draft and then chose my starting line by their stats and not my gut.

I would plan which position to draft in each round, I would rank each player in their position, and ranked the top 150-200. This last one would help me decide if any undrafted player would be worth picking up out of draft sequence. This would help me find a sleeper or decide if an available kicker is worth picking up before I draft a Q, RB, WR. If possible rank players by how your league scores.

Good Luck,
beer4bill

Postby hwwty4 » August 22nd, 2012, 7:17 pm

It all completely depends on your rule set up and draft. Auction/straight, waivers, starting positions/flex and the like. PPR leagues are fun, go on stat sites and look for RB's with high receptions. Darren Sproles is a great ppr player. Look for connections. Qb's and wr's/te's with quite a few td's. I've played for about 10 years now. With a good group of owners it can be a blast. Bills advice was really good. Don't do the heard mentality. I drafted a TE as my first pick in my big money league. Do what you want and if it is a auction be careful with where you spend your money..
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby hwwty4 » August 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm

And watch your bye weeks.
WALDO
hwwty4

Postby johnf » September 20th, 2012, 10:35 am

Well, I guess I did okay. I am 2-0 and have about 75 points more than the next highest team (PPR league).

Not feeling great about this week, had to put in Davone Bess for Hakeem Nicks.

Bye weeks look okay for now barring week 7 when I have 3 current starters on bye.

The only other undefeated had a much worse experience than me with injuries so I think even if I lose, 2-1 is still the best record after this week and I doubt I'll get caught on total points in a single week.
johnf

Postby beer4bill » September 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

Great job!
beer4bill

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » September 20th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Must have assessed the risk appropriately ;). Nice job...
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby johnf » October 11th, 2012, 3:03 pm

5-0
johnf

Next

Return to Off-Topic