Other drinks

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Other drinks

Postby csbosox » June 15th, 2013, 9:47 pm

After shunning mixed drinks for the better part of the last 10 years, I have really started to enjoy them. A well made Manhattan is a joy, as is a Negroni and a simple Margarita (1/3 100% blue agave tequila, 1/3 fresh squeezed lime juice and 1/3 a 50/50 simple syrup made with agave nectar). I have really enjoyed some of the sweet vermouths I have been using for mixing and I always make sure to try a little on its own. Tonight I finally opened the small bottle of Carpano Antica I had bought a couple weeks ago, the aroma is beguiling. Anything else I need to try?
csbosox

Re: Other drinks

Postby beastiefan » June 16th, 2013, 12:46 am

Vintage Port and Cognac are my other two (much more expensive and thus less often purchased) drink hobbies. Most of the common houses of port make good Vintage Ports making it pretty simple. I have taken a stab at other fortified and dessert wines (madeira, sherry, french whites) but they don't do it for me so much.

The best cognac I have had is Camus XO Boundaries - absolutely smooth, no burn, and delicious. However, I can't afford that often so my best affordable backup is Martell Noblige (just $25 for a half bottle at Royale).
lips of faith is where great beers go to die
I am prefacing this by saying I am really not trying to be a downer.
beastiefan

Postby keezer » June 16th, 2013, 6:44 am

I'm not really into a lot of other drinks, but I love lime and definitely make quite a few margaritas in the summer. I used to buy limes by the bag and make my own simple syrup, but I've found that the margarita mix at Costco is quite good. Not the same by any means, but a reasonable substitute and very cheap.

Another nice lime based cocktail that very few people seem to know about is the Caipirinha. A Brazilian chick that I met through work turned me onto them five or six years ago. It's the national cocktail of Brazil and authentic ones are made with cachaça, a potent sugarcane based liquor. When I was making these a few years ago, there were not a lot of cachaça options in our local liquor stores. I've had a couple. One was terrible and the other was quite nice. Unfortunately I can't remember which was which.
keezer

Postby keezer » June 16th, 2013, 7:03 am

I'm not sure about the cachaça brand, but here are some good step-by-step instructions for building a caipirinha if you're interested.

http://www.perfectcaipirinha.com/
keezer

Postby johnf » June 16th, 2013, 7:40 am

csbosox wrote:After shunning mixed drinks for the better part of the last 10 years, I have really started to enjoy them. A well made Manhattan is a joy, as is a Negroni and a simple Margarita (1/3 100% blue agave tequila, 1/3 fresh squeezed lime juice and 1/3 a 50/50 simple syrup made with agave nectar). I have really enjoyed some of the sweet vermouths I have been using for mixing and I always make sure to try a little on its own. Tonight I finally opened the small bottle of Carpano Antica I had bought a couple weeks ago, the aroma is beguiling. Anything else I need to try?

If you like Negronis, try a Jasmine. I prefer the Robert Hess variation to the original Paul Harrington version:

http://drinkboy.com/Cocktails/Recipe.aspx?itemid=88

Warning, it's pink, but it is a serious cocktail.

If you are willing to buy a bottle of Chartreuse (it's not super expensive, but it is very distinctive so there is a risk you won't like it) The Last Word is a classic. The Harrington is a good introduction to Chartreuse, it is 12 parts vodka and 2 parts cointreau to a part of green Chartreuse. Just enough sweet to balance the bitter and nothing else to get in the way.
johnf

Postby thomas15 » June 17th, 2013, 8:47 am

I used to drink a lot if whiskey. Not much mixing involved but I have found some affordable great products to drink throughout my research or whiskey bender.... I highly recommend Elmer T Lee bourbon and old overholt rye...
Torn Label Brewing Company
thomas15

Postby hwwty4 » June 23rd, 2013, 7:27 pm

I've really gotten into Old Fashions made with Rye. I saw something on PBS at Pappy Van Winkle where they were making them. Old Fashions with Templeton are fantastic.

And Campari and sodas with lime. Perfect summer drink.
WALDO
hwwty4

Return to Off-Topic