Music

If it's not necessarily beer-related, post about it here.

Re: Music

Postby theisti » April 12th, 2014, 7:59 am

Just got this songkick alert:

Steve Earle at Knuckleheads June 10.

Good chance I will be out of town, but if I am here, I will definitely be there.

Cheers,

Tim
theisti

Postby jferg » April 13th, 2014, 9:09 pm

I'd probably consider joining you, except we have tickets to see Ben Folds and the KC Symphony thay same night...
Saw Steve at Crossroads last summer, it was a great show.
Beer is not the answer. Beer is the question. Yes is the answer.
jferg

Postby theisti » April 14th, 2014, 8:03 am

jferg wrote:I'd probably consider joining you, except we have tickets to see Ben Folds and the KC Symphony thay same night...
Saw Steve at Crossroads last summer, it was a great show.

I did a radio promo deal one time with Ben, he is an incredibly nice guy. That would be a cool show with the Symphony.
theisti

Postby theLC » April 14th, 2014, 9:26 am

Anybody watch any Coachella streams? Outkast performance was about as weird as everyone said it was... WTF was going on there? Andre looked miserable... I guess you can't have a proper 20-year reunion celebration or whatever when most of the crowd is barely that old. "Coachella are you tired?!"

Pharrell killed as expected (what a set list!) but him and the whole mix pretty much sounded like shit... Festivals aren't my thang and that was a great reminder why.
theLC

Postby EricH » May 23rd, 2014, 2:04 pm

I'm super stoked to have just found out that the mighty Trans Am is coming to town next week!

http://www.therecordbar.com/event/170069

I f'in LOVE Trans Am, I am not missing their set for anything!

Btw, in the still frame in the video, that is Ed Helms playing the banjo. He also directed the video.
No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater...than central air.
EricH

Postby EricH » July 28th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Just thought I would mention that Living Colour is coming to town on Sept. 23rd, they haven't been to KC since 1991! I listened to them a whole lot back in the day, if not recently, but I am not going to miss the chance to see Vernon Reid in person.
No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater...than central air.
EricH

Postby DustinM » July 28th, 2014, 4:58 pm

EricH wrote:Just thought I would mention that Living Colour is coming to town on Sept. 23rd, they haven't been to KC since 1991! I listened to them a whole lot back in the day, if not recently, but I am not going to miss the chance to see Vernon Reid in person.

So I finally took your advice and checked out this music thread. No surprise though that there's not a single mention of any music I really listen to. Any metal/hardcore fans on the site at all? Anyone in their early-mid 30s that spent hour upon hour blaring Pantera, Tool, Deftones, VOD, Sepultura? Maybe some Machinehead, Soulfly, Hatebreed or Snot? Has to be someone out there. Maybe?
DustinM

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » July 28th, 2014, 5:44 pm

I'm pretty sure Flip likes metal alot, just saying.

The closest I get is Metallica, and I'm sure that doesn't "count" anymore. But I literally like most all other music from horror core rap to country, yep I said it. As long as it has some type of entertainment value to me. Some people get too caught up in lyrics. Just don't take it literal at all and take as its meant, which is entertaining you, and we will all be just fine.
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby DustinM » July 28th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Metallica catches a lot of crap, a lot of it rightly so, but there early albums were all great. Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, And Justice, & Master of Puppets were/are common contributors to my playlists.
DustinM

Postby flip » July 28th, 2014, 8:24 pm

JRBoulevard_KC wrote:I'm pretty sure Flip likes metal alot, just saying.

Thanks JRBoulevard_KC! I am indeed a dyed in the wool metalhead. I don't talk about it around here often because we're few and far between here in the KC area. I'm always shocked when I meet another guy into both metal and good beer, but have been fortunate enough to find a couple.

I'm constantly looking for new stuff. My tastes have changed a lot over the years too. When I was a teen and early into college I was into a lot of hardcore, thrash metal, and yeah even nu-metal (groan). These days I'm mostly into doom metal and stoner rock, but occasionally dip into black and death metal. I also get a lot of playtime out of classic rock, industrial, EBM/aggrotech. My tastes aren't as varied as a lot of other people around here, but they aren't as niche as it used to be.

My favorite bands these days are Electric Wizard, Anaal Nathrakh, Cobalt, Graveyard, Uncle Acid, Kyuss, Sleep, The Sword, TOOL, High on Fire, Slough Feg, and too many others to count.

It's just hard to find metal shows around here. We pretty much have the Riot Room for occasional awesome little shows, and then the occasional big guys at Uptown or Granada. But hey, good to know there's another one on here, DustinM! Hit me up if you wanna chat metal anytime!

I'm with you too on the Metallica. Those first 4 are all great jams. Master especially comes back into my playlist pretty often. I'm gaining a better appreciation for Ride the Lightning more and more over the years.

\m/
flip

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic