Firestone Walker Tapping Event

Event postings -- festivals, tastings, dinners, pairings, etc.

Firestone Walker Tapping Event

Postby Randylbear » February 18th, 2012, 8:28 am

4:00-8:-00 p.m. @ the Foundry on Monday, 2/20. Tapping 2011 Parabola, 15th Anniversary, DBA, Pale Ale 31, and Nectar Black Xanthus. Flight fro $7 between 4 & 8 p.m. See you all there!
Randylbear

Re: Firestone Walker Tapping Event

Postby EricH » February 18th, 2012, 11:14 am

Woohoo! I'll be there!
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby JeremyDanner » February 19th, 2012, 3:05 pm

I'll be there early on, but have to leave early to go make beer after drinking beer.
Ambassador Brewer, Boulevard Brewing Co.
Twitter: @Jeremy_Danner
JeremyDanner

Postby johnf » February 19th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I'll be there around 5:30 probably.
johnf

Postby FLENKER » February 19th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I'll be there. Probably early on so I can gaze into Danner's eyes
FLENKER

Postby csbosox » February 20th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Good stuff!
csbosox

Postby EricH » February 20th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Some incredibly good beers. I bet they will have at least a few of them on in the days and nights to come, for anyone that missed it. All of them were excellent, but that XV Anniversary is really nice.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby Pulp » February 20th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Delicious evening. Thanks to this board for the reminder.

I posted my thoughts on another, non beer related forum (though, I of course posted this in the beer-related thread) and I thought I'd repost here.

The short version is: Parabola is spectacular. All numeric ratings out of 5.

Pale 31: 1.5 (A boring, flat and watery Pilsner-esque "APA" that carried none of the hallmarks of my favorite session style. The sole redeeming factor keeping this beer from ".5" levels of derision was a tropical hopiness burried wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back. A true disappointment.)

Double Barrel Ale: 3.5 (A lovely brit-style ale with some "live" qualities, a gorgeous amber color and a nutty, sticky maltiness balanced out with the correct amount of carbonation.)

Black Xantus: 3.25 (A perfectly fine, if unremarkable, dry, roasty stout. I'm not about to run out and buy a case, but I would never say no to a pint of it. Its 11% ABV is hidden masterfully.)

XV Anniversary Ale: 4.33 (A beguiling and boozy monster - what it lacks in nose (almost nothing to smell) it makes up instantly with an alcohol forward first taste (first punch, really) that slowly reveals cherry and bourbon elements. Apparently, the result of blending eight beers is a bastardized cognac taste that leaves you as confused as you are happy. I'm not sure I would want a full portion of this brew, but a taste was perfect.)

Parabola: 5+ (The piece-de-resistance. Absolutely one of the best beers I've ever had, this beer smells like fine tobacco (think your grandfather's pipe) and bourbon and tastes like the same with added notes of espresso, cream, dark chocolate and black cherries. Fucking fantastic cold, and simply mind-blowing as it warms, I cannot recommend this world class stout enough. I ordered a full draw immediately upon finishing my flight.)

I'm sort of hoping against all hope that Parabola is still on tomorrow evening when I get off work.
Pulp

Postby johnf » February 20th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Great event Randyl. Being as I am an insufferable FW fan boy and fan of normal beers the DBA and Pale 31 were my favorites. 15 was great. Xantus and f(x) = x^2 were an interesting side by side. I think Parabola needs time and Xantus is good to go.

PS: Get some 30th St. Pale Ale already.
johnf

Postby Pulp » February 20th, 2012, 11:26 pm

John: did the Pale 31 taste like it usually does? This was my first time drinking it, and it was such a disappointment I wondered if we'd gotten a bad keg or if i'd gotten a bad pour or something. Knowing that there were members of the FW crew on hand, coupled with the generally fantastic and knowledgeable Foundry/McCoy's/Beer Kitchen staff, I figured that couldn't be the case, but I was almost hoping it was.

My pour was frighteningly thin - like it'd been poured into a glass with water in it.

Also:

johnf wrote:f(x) = x^2

<3 this.
Pulp

Next

Return to Beer Events