KC Beer scene. ITS OVER!

General forum for all things beer.

KC Beer scene. ITS OVER!

Postby hopmolester69 » January 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm

So what’s the weather vane say about the KC beer scene? I’m at foundry and staring at KBS and black ops on tap. Just thinking about the overall status of the beer scene here. It seems that everyone only wants rare, and as soon as that rare pops on tap or the bottle shop sold out everyone leaves or won’t buy anything but rare. Is this a result of super saturation of limited beers becoming shelf turds? Or am I just looking too much into this booze business? It seems like the consumer base is too fickle or is it that the beers coming out are just mediocre?
hopmolester69

Re: KC Beer scene. ITS OVER!

Postby EricH » January 7th, 2018, 8:39 pm

I can't complain one bit. I really can't. Having too many options is a good sort of problem to have, as a consumer. We have DFH, we have AleSmith, Stone, Prairie, lots of great local breweries making lots of great stuff, including one here in OP, the first brewery in this city in almost 20 years. It's just tough for me to see the continuing craft beer explosion as anything but positive at this point in time. I definitely do miss all the gatherings we used to have. Those were always a blast, but times change, I guess.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby bigpete » January 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Craft beer has been Dieing for a few years, there are still a few beers geeks out there and a few craft beer guys confused and mad their stores bomber selection is disappearing swearing they drink 2 bombers a night atleast, walking in and out of stores buying nothing hoping for something rare only they got in KC and can post on facebook. I personally still drink shelf beers, bourbon and throw in a high life or PBR every once in a while. I prefer to drink with my friends rather than a group of people I don't really know or want to know, just to try the rare stuff.
bigpete

Postby Bobby Digital » January 8th, 2018, 10:24 am

I think a lot of it is the beer nerds these days only want to get new ticks. If they've had it before they won't buy it again (unless it's rare/trade bait). Years ago people would come in herds to get the new Boulevard release and want multiple bottles. Now it all sit around because people just buy one to try it and never buy another.
Bobby Digital

Postby Jake1605 » January 8th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Money and freshness is always a concern to me, plus I think the local Midwest breweries that mainly put out dated or mediocre beer are blocking cool breweries from coming in. Love how Burr Oak & Public House just bogart the spots and Ward off TG, Half Acre and many others that would actually sell.
Jake1605

Postby ElurJ » January 8th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Im guilty of wanting to try something I have yet to try vs something I have. That being said I dont kiss ass or sign up for lists to try to snag limited shit because IMO thats what has drawn me away from the whole scene in general. I cant stand the fact that even some of the more limited shit that does drop you have to put in way to much effort to purchase it. Let alone the fact that I have a job and my resources are limited. Personally I think people are the problem as opposed to the beer itself. For years Ive talked with a few people about how limited beers are basically for the people who either try to hard to get them or have engaged in conversations that lead employees to thinking that they are "worthy". Its made me believe that most of the store employees are just picking and choosing who they wanna sell beer too and for that I dont exaxtly go around to spend my money.
ElurJ

Postby ElurJ » January 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Another thing that pisses me off to no end is how some of you guys thag work at stores dont tell your management that PA or IPAs dont belong on the fucking floor or the shelf. Why the fuck sre you allowing this is beyond me. There aint no way any place I would work at i wouldnt have convinced my bosses that we would be able to stretch the shelf life out of these beers aling with selling them more often if they werent kept cold. Do your part as someone who actually gives a fuck a put the shit in a fucking cooler.
ElurJ

Postby whiskeydeez » January 8th, 2018, 5:57 pm

whiskeydeez

Postby bigpete » January 8th, 2018, 6:05 pm

ElurJ wrote:Another thing that pisses me off to no end is how some of you guys thag work at stores dont tell your management that PA or IPAs dont belong on the fucking floor or the shelf. Why the fuck sre you allowing this is beyond me. There aint no way any place I would work at i wouldnt have convinced my bosses that we would be able to stretch the shelf life out of these beers aling with selling them more often if they werent kept cold. Do your part as someone who actually gives a fuck a put the shit in a fucking cooler.

It's actually one of the easiest complaints to explain. Usually this is a space issue or at brewer's request. If you had a 10 door cooler and it's full, do you stop bringing in anything new or do you put it on the shelf hoping someone might buy it. As for stacks, this is at the brewer request usualy, they actually pay the salesman extra to get stacks on the floor, $10ish usually per stack per store.
bigpete

Postby Jake1605 » January 8th, 2018, 7:06 pm

They pay salesmen a lot of money to compete for cooler spots.
Jake1605

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion