The Foundry's last day in business is today

General forum for all things beer.

The Foundry's last day in business is today

Postby EricH » March 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm

https://www.facebook.com/thefoundrykc/p ... =3&theater

No clue what the deal is. Anyone have any info? Er, better question: Anyone that has the info want to share?

I must admit, I am shocked, that place was always packed when I was there.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Re: The Foundry's last day in business is today

Postby tuckner » March 24th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Remodel rebrand apparently
tuckner

Postby EricH » March 24th, 2018, 8:57 pm

That could be good.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby Barleywhiner » March 25th, 2018, 11:12 am

Sailor Jack’s Snack Shack? Will Spongebob be there?
Barleywhiner

Postby Lagerinthefront » March 25th, 2018, 11:23 am

Barleywhiner wrote:Sailor Jack’s Snack Shack? Will Spongebob be there?

Jack Shack? Is this a joke?
Lagerinthefront

Postby EricH » March 25th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Holy crap, he's not kidding!

Can we get a Krabby Patty there?
EricH

Postby Jake1605 » March 26th, 2018, 11:59 am

I'm surprised it took this long, a seafood concept for them has been a goal for several years. Even though I'm trying to give up meat, I love seafood. If they don't cook the crabs and lobster alive I'll check it out. Some places freeze them alive to hibernate them (since they're cold blooded) before they cook them. It doesn't take long in a freezer before they go to sleep, it's considered humane so I'm hoping that this technique gets more popular.
Jake1605

Postby keezer » March 26th, 2018, 12:49 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 32099.html

BY JOYCE SMITH
jsmith@kcstar.com
March 26, 2018 12:33 PM

After a decade as a "late night urban beer palace," Westport's The Foundry shut down Saturday night.

Now its local owners will remodel the space at 424 Westport Road for Sailor Jack's Snack Shack.

Foundry founders Mark Kelpe and James Westphal of Beer KC Restaurant Group also own Westport's Beer Kitchen, Char Bar and McCoy's Public House.

They said they continually work on new concepts but wait for the "right place and right time" to introduce them instead of just rushing them into an available spot.

"We feel we do food pretty well and we feel like Kansas City is ready for a different approach to seafood," Kelpe said. "Instead of white tablecloth, Sailor Jack's will be a little more approachable."

Beer KC Restaurant Group's executive chef, Michael Peterson, collaborated on the menu with Sailor Jack's executive chef, Devin Campbell. Campbell had previously been with the Foundry before joining the American and then Corvino Supper Club & Tasting Room.

Sailor Jack's signature dishes will include four different lobster rolls, West Coast Sand Dabs, Old Bay-spiced fried chicken (from Campo Lindo Farms), Rhode Island fried clams, a spicy crab melt, lobster corn bake, low country shrimp boil and a sharing platter called "Release the Kraken."

It also will have vegetarian items including a lobster roll made with hearts of palm instead of lobster, as well as house-made slaws and salads, and rum-based drinks.

The front patio will connect to McCoy's Public House next door and its facade will resemble the bow of a boat with a 30-foot mast and three sails. Tabletops will be made from 1880s era ship hatches. Photography by Nicole Caulfield of pit bulls dressed as admirals will be among the artwork.
keezer

Postby Jake1605 » March 26th, 2018, 3:44 pm

The chef they hired makes really great food. I think he originally left to open Local Pig? Whatever was in the spot before Off Key.
Jake1605

Postby hopmolester69 » March 27th, 2018, 8:54 am

Jake1605 wrote:The chef they hired makes really great food. I think he originally left to open Local Pig? Whatever was in the spot before Off Key.

I thought your idea o calling it “THE FLOUNDRY” Was genius
hopmolester69

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion