Cigar City

Know of any new beer releases to the area? Share some info here.
JEdmund

Cigar City

Post by JEdmund » April 10th, 2019, 10:28 am

Thought I'd read that Cigar City was coming to the area. Just saw this Tweet:

@CrawfordSales1
It’s coming Next Monday the 15th @BarleysMidland starting at 5pm. Featuring Jai Alai, Guayabera Citra Pale, and Maduro Ale.

Consider me excited!

Jake1605

Re: Cigar City

Post by Jake1605 » April 10th, 2019, 11:34 am

Thanks!

EricH

Post by EricH » April 10th, 2019, 11:51 am

I don't know if it's possible for me to get excited about new breweries in the area any more. Once I learned that brands that I really like launch, hit the area and then just blend into a giant morass of other brands and then scale down their offerings within a year, I just have reached the conclusion that there is already too much beer.

Once upon a time I thought that I would like too much beer, but not only does it affect availability, it also affects the quality of what's out there due to product just sitting and gathering dust on the shelf. I'm also having trouble finding classic beers that I really enjoy due to the same phenomenon. Critical mass has not only been reached, but exceeded.
"Une Rochefort, c'est bien.
Deux Rochefort, c'est moins.
Trois Rochefort, faut pas le faire."

JEdmund

Post by JEdmund » April 10th, 2019, 12:03 pm

EricH wrote:I don't know if it's possible for me to get excited about new breweries in the area any more. Once I learned that brands that I really like launch, hit the area and then just blend into a giant morass of other brands and then scale down their offerings within a year, I just have reached the conclusion that there is already too much beer.

Once upon a time I thought that I would like too much beer, but not only does it affect availability, it also affects the quality of what's out there due to product just sitting and gathering dust on the shelf. I'm also having trouble finding classic beers that I really enjoy due to the same phenomenon. Critical mass has not only been reached, but exceeded.
Totally agree with you on that. I have this continual guilt for not supporting my favorite breweries enough, or buying my old favorites enough. I'm definitely too swayed by what's new each week. Then I feel bad that I could be fully shopping local with all their offerings alone. Nonetheless, I'll be happy to try some new brews by Cigar City!

Jake1605

Post by Jake1605 » April 10th, 2019, 2:38 pm

The product isn’t always the same. I have when bad ass breweries like Founders expand too big and are just putting out factory beers.

nightfly_dp

Post by nightfly_dp » April 10th, 2019, 11:20 pm

JEdmund wrote:
Totally agree with you on that. I have this continual guilt for not supporting my favorite breweries enough, or buying my old favorites enough. I'm definitely too swayed by what's new each week. Then I feel bad that I could be fully shopping local with all their offerings alone. Nonetheless, I'll be happy to try some new brews by Cigar City!
I realized something similar when I went by the cooler at Gomer's recently, looked at the 6 pack of Bully Porter and wondered why it had been so long since I had one of the beers that caused me to fall for craft beer, and grabbed it.

I'm sure I'll try Cigar City as well, but short of it transforming my taste, trying might be all I do.

schumed

Post by schumed » April 11th, 2019, 9:48 am

EricH wrote:I don't know if it's possible for me to get excited about new breweries in the area any more. Once I learned that brands that I really like launch, hit the area and then just blend into a giant morass of other brands and then scale down their offerings within a year, I just have reached the conclusion that there is already too much beer.

To add to this - Our local scene continues to grow and is really good. I rarely even visit a liquor store when I have so many local options near me to try.

keezer

Post by keezer » April 11th, 2019, 9:59 am

My take: apart from specialty breweries and top tier limited releases from other breweries, there's nothing special about most out-of-market breweries compared to locals. There's also a better chance the local beer will be fresher in my experience. So, most of my retail purchases are also local.

Jake1605

Post by Jake1605 » April 24th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Best current mix pack on the shelves. New ipa is better than jai alai & both were canned this month

JEdmund

Post by JEdmund » April 26th, 2019, 9:01 am

I checked out three of their beers a couple weeks ago at Barley's and was impressed by all, but the standout was the Citra pale ale, Guayabera. Gonna have to buy some of that.