KC HAZE

General forum for all things beer.

KC HAZE

Postby hopmolester69 » July 9th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Besides TL dank releases I can't find any damn haze in this city. I guess I just gotta bring around a stick blender and a bag of citra and add it to every pint of transparent IPA I get. haha
hopmolester69

Re: KC HAZE

Postby bkoerper » July 9th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Been rotating everything I can get from Crooked Stave, have had Hazy Not Lazy & Trellis Buster, currently pouring Sourless IPA at Il Lazzarone. :)
bkoerper

Postby theisti » July 9th, 2017, 9:31 pm

I think Crane may have one on right now. Anyone had it?
theisti

Postby keezer » July 10th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Double Shift, Border and Cinder Block have all tried to make a NEIPA with varying levels of success. None of them have been exactly on point, but I appreciate the effort and hope they keep trying. From what I've heard the guys behind BKS have made some pretty good homebrewed examples, so perhaps they will be able to produce some good ones on a larger scale when they open their nanobrewery.

I've had some very good examples from guys in my homebrew club. Making your own seems like a viable option. It's really not that hard in my experience. It is expensive though.
Tim
keezer

Postby keezer » July 10th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Also, I know they're not exactly local, but Roughtail periodically releases small quantities of Everything Rhymes with Orange and Adapdation variants in KS.
Tim
keezer

Postby EricH » July 10th, 2017, 1:39 pm

I realize this is something I could google, but the main brewing technique or at least difference for a NEIPA vs. any other IPA is a ton of very late addition hops? Like 5 mins or less left in the boil, and then just not filtering the beer via the standard method?
We've been too long American dreaming
I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn, somnambulistic, maniacal
In the dark
EricH

Postby keezer » July 10th, 2017, 7:56 pm

EricH wrote:I realize this is something I could google, but the main brewing technique or at least difference for a NEIPA vs. any other IPA is a ton of very late addition hops? Like 5 mins or less left in the boil, and then just not filtering the beer via the standard method?

I did quite a bit of research prior to first brewing my first NEIPA--trying to discern fact from fiction. There are quite a few recipe and procedural differences. Here are the things I do differently from a standard IPA when brewing a NE:
  1. Use a substantial amount of oats to contribute silky mouthfeel and haze.
  2. Use brewing liquor (water) comprising a chloride to sulfate ratio significantly in favor of chloride to provide a smoother mouthfeel and de-emphasize bitterness.
  3. Aim for an IBU level on the low end of the range.
  4. A lot of brewers apparently add kettle hops only in the whirlpool. I've found that I get more predictable bitterness and similar hop aroma with a first-wort bittering charge and a substantial whirlpool addition after chilling to below isomerization temp.
  5. Select hops that tend to have a lot of tropical fruit character.
  6. Dry hop during active fermentation to take advantage of biostransformative properties of yeast to convert certain hop compounds into "juicy" compounds and to encourage formation of a long lasting haze. Use a substantial amount of dry hops.
  7. Use a yeast strain that is known to encourage F. Typically strains of English origin.
  8. Don't filter or use finings (duh)
Reportedly some breweries use oat or wheat flour to encourage a long lasting haze. I have not found this to be necessary.

I would have added to omit crystal malts or use them extremely judiciously...but the list above reflects my approach and crystal malts are not permitted in any of my IPA recipes in any quantity.
Tim
keezer

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » July 10th, 2017, 9:14 pm

ISO of Keezer's Hazy beer.
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby Kevanyon » July 11th, 2017, 8:13 am

JRBoulevard_KC wrote:ISO of Keezer's Hazy beer.

Had some of his Cloudy Delight on Cask at Nanobrew Festival...Best beer I had all day!
Kevanyon

Postby keezer » July 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Kevanyon wrote:
JRBoulevard_KC wrote:ISO of Keezer's Hazy beer.

Had some of his Cloudy Delight on Cask at Nanobrew Festival...Best beer I had all day!

Thanks guys!
My next NE will probably be another cask at the High Plains Brewhoff on Sep 23. Marketh thou thy calendars for the best beerfest in JoCo!
Tim
keezer

Next

Return to General Beer Discussion