KC Beer scene. ITS OVER!

General forum for all things beer.

Re: KC Beer scene. ITS OVER!

Postby bigpete » January 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Jake1605 wrote:They pay salesmen a lot of money to compete for cooler spots.

And more money to put it on the floor as an advertisement.
bigpete

Postby hopmolester69 » January 9th, 2018, 10:56 am

I'm glad that we have some new breweries popping up giving us fresher IPA choices rather than a deschutes shelf rotter haha. I think it's fair to sell to "regulars" over someone that just pops in for one thing. I like what some people do and make the "one-timers" buy something related to the product they want.
hopmolester69

Postby Bobby Digital » January 12th, 2018, 10:54 am

ElurJ wrote:Another thing that pisses me off to no end is how some of you guys thag work at stores dont tell your management that PA or IPAs dont belong on the fucking floor or the shelf. Why the fuck sre you allowing this is beyond me. There aint no way any place I would work at i wouldnt have convinced my bosses that we would be able to stretch the shelf life out of these beers aling with selling them more often if they werent kept cold. Do your part as someone who actually gives a fuck a put the shit in a fucking cooler.

Are you assuming that all distributors house all their beer cold before it's sent out to stores?
Bobby Digital

Postby hopmolester69 » January 12th, 2018, 11:13 am

Bobby Digital wrote:
ElurJ wrote:Another thing that pisses me off to no end is how some of you guys thag work at stores dont tell your management that PA or IPAs dont belong on the fucking floor or the shelf. Why the fuck sre you allowing this is beyond me. There aint no way any place I would work at i wouldnt have convinced my bosses that we would be able to stretch the shelf life out of these beers aling with selling them more often if they werent kept cold. Do your part as someone who actually gives a fuck a put the shit in a fucking cooler.

Are you assuming that all distributors house all their beer cold before it's sent out to stores?

If my memory serves me correct its stored in a temperature controlled warehouse. It's not cool necessarily but its not really hot either. Anytime I've picked stuff off the dock or been in a warehouse in the summer its been like 80-85F. Once it gets on the truck its crazy hot back there in the summer.
hopmolester69

Postby Jake1605 » January 12th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Can we all just agree that kegged beer is superior?
Jake1605

Postby nightfly_dp » January 13th, 2018, 2:49 am

The beer scene isn't over, it's turning local. Small local - big local - in between local.

Not as good for a guy like me who doesn't get out as much as he'd like, as circumstances keep me drinking at home for the most part. But getting to the point where one could lose track of all the breweries in this town from where we were even 5 years ago?

I do notice though that the "standard" offerings from the national craft brands don't move like they used to. Is it oversaturation? Is it whale chasing (expensive bottles limiting budgets for standard brews)? I notice these days there are more beers that have been on shelves simply way too long. That may be okay if know the beer's staying power, but I don't want to judge a new beer by one that is not at least semi-fresh. But any time I see a 6pk of Arrogant Bastard in the first month? Get in my cart!

I need to make my turn to the newer locals. Some I can get in stores and enjoy, especially Torn Label and Martin City. But so many are only in the taprooms and maybe some other bars, but many are not open during the day on Mondays or Fridays for those rare days when I'm playing hooky from work (and not worrying about dragging my wife to "yet another brewery").

Back into lurk mode I go...It's the Jewbelation 20 (still a tad hot after a year) and the late hour making me type this much LOL. A toast to all who stand for good beer!
nightfly_dp

Postby hopmolester69 » January 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm

nightfly_dp wrote:The beer scene isn't over, it's turning local. Small local - big local - in between local.

Not as good for a guy like me who doesn't get out as much as he'd like, as circumstances keep me drinking at home for the most part. But getting to the point where one could lose track of all the breweries in this town from where we were even 5 years ago?

I do notice though that the "standard" offerings from the national craft brands don't move like they used to. Is it oversaturation? Is it whale chasing (expensive bottles limiting budgets for standard brews)? I notice these days there are more beers that have been on shelves simply way too long. That may be okay if know the beer's staying power, but I don't want to judge a new beer by one that is not at least semi-fresh. But any time I see a 6pk of Arrogant Bastard in the first month? Get in my cart!

I need to make my turn to the newer locals. Some I can get in stores and enjoy, especially Torn Label and Martin City. But so many are only in the taprooms and maybe some other bars, but many are not open during the day on Mondays or Fridays for those rare days when I'm playing hooky from work (and not worrying about dragging my wife to "yet another brewery").

Back into lurk mode I go...It's the Jewbelation 20 (still a tad hot after a year) and the late hour making me type this much LOL. A toast to all who stand for good beer!

this is an awesome opinion that I can get behind... the local beers are taking over and it doesnt seem to be slowing down anytime soon!
hopmolester69

Postby Bobby Digital » January 13th, 2018, 8:27 pm

hopmolester69 wrote:
Bobby Digital wrote:

If my memory serves me correct its stored in a temperature controlled warehouse. It's not cool necessarily but its not really hot either. Anytime I've picked stuff off the dock or been in a warehouse in the summer its been like 80-85F. Once it gets on the truck its crazy hot back there in the summer.

And it's damn near frozen when it comes off the trucks this time of year.
Bobby Digital

Postby ReedM » January 14th, 2018, 1:44 pm

I have tried to keep a majority of my hops cold, but low and behold then all I have is a cooler full of hops, more hops on the floor, and no cold anything else. And not everyone wants hoppy beer. You would be surprised how often I get asked for warm two hearted ale.
Beer Curator @ Royal Liquors
1301 W 103rd Street
ReedM

Previous

Return to General Beer Discussion