First trip to KC!

General forum for all things beer.

Re: First trip to KC!

Postby huskerball » September 12th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Visiting town here tomorrow and Friday. Still totally undecided on where to go. Seeing a concert at Grinders Thursday, was thinking Emperial or Double Shift beforehand.

Friday all I got is Boulevard and Torn Label planned. Any other places I really need to visit? Thinking maybe Casual Animal. I like Crane, but we get a lot of their stuff in Omaha. And I want to check out KC Bier Co, but am staying in the Crossroads and wanted to stay around there after blvd. Been to Negro League Museum about 12 years ago, was thinking going again.
Thanks
huskerball

Postby huskerball » September 12th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Also, if anyone is interested there are some Toppling Goliath Fire skulls and Money 4 packs dated 8/31 and some sosus bombers (can't read date, maybe the 11th, not sure month) here I could bring down. FWIW, Sosus has been my favorite hoppy offering of theirs, definitely over king sue.
Got a couple bottles of black note too if someone is looking to trade for something..
huskerball

Postby EricH » September 12th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Crossroads has plenty of places to check out nowadays. Other than the breweries you mentioned, right next door to Double Shift is Border Brewing, and directly across the street from them both is an iTap and a really good coffee shop/bar called Thou Mayest, if you are into the whole coffee thing. A few blocks west is Ruins Pub, which is a bit pricey but has a great menu and is a "dispense your own draft beer" type of place. The Belfry is also not far away, if you want somewhere with a jaw-dropping array of whiskey and bourbon. Tapcade is also a great choice for drafts, they typically have a great selection.
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Postby huskerball » September 13th, 2018, 4:40 am

Much appreciated! The Belfry may be something I need to check out, I was aware of all the other suggestions, but unsure where we want to hit. May just play it by ear. Thanks!
huskerball

Postby theisti » September 13th, 2018, 6:32 am

huskerball wrote:Still totally undecided on where to go. Seeing a concert at Grinders Thursday, was thinking Emperial or Double Shift beforehand.

You could easily do Emperial, Double Shift, Border and Casual Animal in a quick pub crawl prior to show. Hit Casual Animal first (two blocks from Grinders), the other three are all adjacent to the venue.
theisti

Postby huskerball » September 17th, 2018, 8:44 am

Had a great time in KC! Crossroads is awesome. Mile to Boulevard, and tons of little breweries around. Torn Label and Double Shift were the favorites of mine, besides the new (to me) BLVD beer hall, which is amazing! The Belfry and Manifesto are great bars as well.

One of the coolest things was walking out of Casual Animal and hearing the band doing a warmup/soundcheck. Got up on the deck at Thou Mayest and got a free 45 minute warmup before the show. I'll be back for more concerts here, had a blast
huskerball

Postby EricH » September 17th, 2018, 6:27 pm

That does sound like fun, glad you had a good trip!
“Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.” ― Mel Brooks
EricH

Previous

Return to General Beer Discussion