Found on the shelf...

General forum for all things beer.

Re: Found on the shelf...

Postby tylerajen » June 28th, 2017, 1:17 pm

EricH wrote:
nightfly_dp wrote:2015 Blvd BBQ at the Quiktrip at 39th and Bolger in Indep. On the bottom shelf with the wine $13.69. I got one yesterday and left at least 7. Now hope it drinks well.

I just had one a couple of nights ago. It's still good but is about a month away from its "Drink By" date by now.

Why would a barrel aged 12% quad have a drink by date on it? And why would it be only 2 years after release? I bet it would still be good 3 years from now.
tylerajen

Postby EricH » June 28th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I imagine it would be drinkable but I don't think it will have improved at all after 3+ years. By then it has started to go downhill. In my opinion it's definitely best within the first year or two, when the flavors are still more distinct and less sort of smudged together and oxidized.

I should note that I do not have a proper cellar that stays at 53 degrees all year round -- I just have a basement. Right now it is probably 70-72 down there, which greatly accelerates the aging process.
We've been too long American dreaming
I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn, somnambulistic, maniacal
In the dark
EricH

Postby Stringer_bell » June 28th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Not sure if anyone has been into the Gomers in Parkville lately but I stopped in today and was impressed with their remodel. It seems like their selection has improved as well over the past few months. There was nothing uber rare but they had some Prairie Paradise and Pe-Kan, American Solera Eng-Yak and The Ground is Shaking, Grimm Double Negative and some other good stuff. These beers may be sitting around a lot of places but I don't frequent the bottle shops like I used to. If you happen to be in Parkville though I recommend making a stop there.
Stringer_bell

Postby nightfly_dp » June 29th, 2017, 12:13 pm

tylerajen wrote:
EricH wrote:
nightfly_dp wrote:2015 Blvd BBQ at the Quiktrip at 39th and Bolger in Indep. On the bottom shelf with the wine $13.69. I got one yesterday and left at least 7. Now hope it drinks well.

I just had one a couple of nights ago. It's still good but is about a month away from its "Drink By" date by now.

Why would a barrel aged 12% quad have a drink by date on it? And why would it be only 2 years after release? I bet it would still be good 3 years from now.
nightfly_dp

Postby keezer » July 1st, 2017, 8:14 am

tylerajen wrote:Why would a barrel aged 12% quad have a drink by date on it? And why would it be only 2 years after release? I bet it would still be good 3 years from now.

To add to Eric's response and at the risk of stating the obvious, it is because 2 years is the window in which the brewer feels the product will be at its best if stored properly. In my experience, a beer--even a big beer--that keeps in peak condition for years or improves, is the exception, not the rule.
Tim
keezer

Postby JRBoulevard_KC » July 1st, 2017, 6:11 pm

Keezer droppin dat knowledge!
JRBoulevard_KC

Postby EricH » August 7th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Gomer's Lenexa has a ton of 750s of Nebraska Brewing EOS Hefeweizen on sale for 4.99/bottle. I picked up a couple, it's tasty.
We've been too long American dreaming
I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn, somnambulistic, maniacal
In the dark
EricH

Postby JSchock7 » August 10th, 2017, 1:19 pm

To make room for 6 pack cans on the way, just put Roughtail Pale Ale 4 packs down to $6.99 at Lukas OP if interested.
Beer Manager at Lukas OP
JSchock7

Postby nightfly_dp » August 11th, 2017, 2:21 pm

keezer wrote:
tylerajen wrote:Why would a barrel aged 12% quad have a drink by date on it? And why would it be only 2 years after release? I bet it would still be good 3 years from now.

I drank this 2-3 weeks after this post. It was still ok but was better fresh. I wouldn't pay a premium for it. The barrel qualities just don't last as long with that beer I suppose.

To add to Eric's response and at the risk of stating the obvious, it is because 2 years is the window in which the brewer feels the product will be at its best if stored properly. In my experience, a beer--even a big beer--that keeps in peak condition for years or improves, is the exception, not the rule.
nightfly_dp

Postby Jake1605 » August 12th, 2017, 5:09 pm

nightfly_dp wrote:
keezer wrote:

I drank this 2-3 weeks after this post. It was still ok but was better fresh. I wouldn't pay a premium for it. The barrel qualities just don't last as long with that beer I suppose.

Things you will never hear in Belgium. I subconsciously almost reported this post lol.
Jake1605

Previous

Return to General Beer Discussion